1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting to Mac

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Andy, Jul 21, 2006.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

2. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nice find.

Here is my stumbling block.

Might be at least a week or so of crash course learning before I even get cocky enough to load WoW and play it full time. Meanwhile I am reading up on all I can ahead of time..

Funny thing is, I could give a rats ear about running winders on my new Mac. (Maybe someday, but it's not on my list now.. maybe when I've thrown out all my IBM clones?)

I also got a confirmation over in the WoW Mac forum that the Logitech gaming mouse I have "Mx518" "works fine" with OS X. :happy:

And I found out why some of the shipping dates are being pushed back every time I go and drool over one and re-config it online.. the ATI Vid card I select over the basic one offered is the part holding it up 3-5 weeks.

Come on September. :D

By the time I do order, hopefully production will have ramped up and more parts readilly available.

3. eakes

eakes Registered User

4. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

At least at this point, they lowered the price on the ATI vid card upgrade I'm eyeing up by $100 bones.

Now I'm wondering, since they still show a 4 week backorder on the ATI's if they intend to instead install the x1950XT's that were just announced? :drool:

A stock config is flying out the door next day, so for me it's just the vid card that would be my hold up.

Still intend on placing my order either way in about 2 weeks.. waiting on word of contract renewal @ work.

5. Domh

Domh Full Member

Andy... how much total are you spending?

Buying just the system, right?

6. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Just the Mac Pro alone.

With the spec I've decided on for now, unless they release the better ATI card, $2,998.00

That includes the 3 year Applecare warranty and the ATI vid card I'm looking at now but only 1GB of ram.

Crucial now stocks the correct memory and I can pick up another 1GB for ~$200.. almost $100 less than getting Apple to pop it in and reports on several Mac forums I'm lurking is the Crucial is the same exact ram that's shipping inside the Mac Pros.

7. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

$200 a gig? What are they using? Holographic memory cores or something?

8. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Close.

It's gotta be matched and spec'd ECC ram.

9. Domh

Domh Full Member

3 grand?

I am sorry. That is insane.

That OS better be able to reach out and touch you, if you catch my drift.

:whistle:

10. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Just the thought of it is already tickling me in my no-no area. :thumbsup:

Also will be able to get my version of winders XPlode running on it too. ;)

I'm chalking up as the whole Mac conversion experience will also make me more marketable down my road in IT while easing my sanity of not having to deal with Micro$haft stuff on my own time.
    I get enough aggrivation on company time.

11. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member