1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting to Mac

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Andy, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Right out of the gate!

Live blogging coverage from someone inside...

(excuse the upsidedown reading.. apparently it's all the rage with forum software now. read from bottom up)

Wowzers.

2. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"Crowd very happy"

Understatement of the year....

I'm sold..

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

:eek:

Wowzers indeed!

SM

4. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

5. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thats even a BIGGER wowzers...:eek::eek:

According to the live blogging I was reading, I thought the 256MB was the system memory..

Crap.. I've got to change my shorts now and unfortunately, I'm already at work. :rofl:

Barring any small detailed choices.. that right there is my next system.

6. Sierra Mike

Looks like the baseline is 512MB RAM...check it out here.

BTW, Apple's site is C-R-A-W-L-I-N-G...

SM

7. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

8. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I dunno SM, the one you showed does have a minimum memory option of 512MB, but the one I'm looking at is 1GB min.. And I tried to "dumb down" your choices and it still came nowhere near under $3K.. what the heck are you looking at? :rofl: (Oh, duh.. quad core :doh:)

I was speccing one out through my link, and got it pretty much to what was shown in the pic above, added in the apple care thing and as I updated, the shipping estimate went from 2-3 days to 2-4 weeks.

They're selling like hotcakes it would seem.

I'll see how things look next month when I'm ready to pull the trigger.

9. Sierra Mike

Oh, you'll be doing dual core...I'm looking to gain some experience with the phat effects packages, like Modo and Lightwave 3D, so I want the quad system for that with around 8GB of RAM. Comes out to be about $10,000 with the 23-inch screen option. :eek:

SM

10. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

Please ship that to.....

11. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Wow....VMware is going to release a client for Mac OS. It will allow you to run PC OS and Mac OS WITHOUT rebooting.

Man.....all this news is making it more and more likely that my next rig will be a Mac. :drool:

Story Here

12. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I already posted a story on Parallel install. It's WOW good.

13. tke711

I must have missed it because this was news to me. Not having to reboot when switching OS is just awesome!!!

14. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

15. tke711

Thanks!!!

16. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Passed Away June 15th, 2009

17. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Not to toss in a pun.. but again, are you comparing apples to apples or oranges? (i.e. are you speccing out the Dell with dual duo-core processors? Plural?)

By my math and following the Dell link in the link above, speccing it out to match a new Mac Pro quad core by plugging in 2 duo-core 2.66 GHz Xeons and the same sized HDD, and the comparible CD/DVD burner option I'm getting $3,622 from Dell. ;)

18. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Passed Away June 15th, 2009

Intel doesn't make single core Xeons anymore. Dual dual-core xeons. I had to fiddle with it, because Dell sticks in some lame Quaddro vid, and includes WIndows.

19. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

20. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FWIW.. in comapring things here on a level playing field..

Xeon Dual-Core 50xx series NetBurst 'Dempseys'
    =\=
    Xeon Dual-Core 51xx series Microarchitecture 'Woodcrests'.

Even on the config pages for the only Xeon Desktop Dell sells to non-businesses, if you click on the "Help me choose" link about Xeons.. they detail how much better 51xx's are over 50xx's.. yet they have no 51xx's to select as an option for Home/Home Office buyers.. :doh:

The only place I can find 51xx series 2.66 GHz Xeon Duo-Cores as an option @ Dell are (from my link above earlier) via Small Business or higher, in the Dell Precision 690's for $3,622 or in the Precision 490's for $3,057 if they are spec'd to try and equal the specs of the Mac Pro.

Unless I'm missing something..:huh: