1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting to Mac

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Andy, Jul 21, 2006.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

If Macs came nothing but this, I'd still buy it. :)

(In Your Utilities Folder)
    That's right, boys and girls, OS X is a UNIX-based operating system. "What?!?," you say. "Why haven't I heard this before?" I know, I know, it's a shock. Well, this one might be a duh, but it's important to point out. If, after making the switch, you find yourself missing the command-prompt, don't forget that it's always accessible through the Terminal.
  2. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

I would also suggest tuning into Leo LaPorte on the weekends. He dedicates a fair amount of time to talking people into going the Mac route, if for no other reason than security. He also takes a fair amount of Mac related calls for help. Oddly enough, most of these are from recent switchers. ;)
  3. Andy

I'm glad I decided to wait until Sept to buy.

That will be well after WWDC 2006 in August.

Speculation is they will be announcing even further strides with Intel-based Macs. :)
  4. ethics

Good thinking.
  5. Andy

Delving even deeper into specs for the G5, I see that the built in sound is outputting in either a 2 channel analog or an optical output.

I see thet in order to utilize my 5.1 speaker set, I either need to find a PCI-Express sound card (which seems not to exist?) or something new to me..

An external USB soundcard.

Any hands on experience here?
  6. damonlab

damonlab Veteran Member

Not to rain on anybody's parade, but...

Macs are overpriced. IMHO, you would be beter off loading a 'nix distro such as Ubuntu on your PC and saving your money.
  7. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Can't run WoW on Ubuntu.
  8. Andy

And I've got the cash to spend..

Whatever it takes to get further away from the evil Micro$haft and still enjoy my WOW. ;)

besides, it's the "next big thing" that in 5 years, I see as being the mainstream in OS's, not the red-headed step cousin..
  9. Andy

Got put on track also today from my one nephew who's a SA for a college in AZ that's mostly Mac/Apple..

Also strongly suggested that I wait till the announcements from the show in the next next week or so in San Fran, and pointed me to a Mac rumors site.

Seems the next generation of G5's will be called Mac Pro, in a G5 case, and using Intel inside.

Dayum sexy. :drool:
  10. Andy

I feel like I'm 7 again parousing through the Sears catalog looking at all my wishlist goodies for X-mas. :D

Liking what I'm reading so far...

'Pro desktop' being the next generation of the G5, only more sexy.

More please.

Faster please. :D
  11. Domh

Domh Full Member

Absolutely! You could buy a refurb Dell from 3 years ago!

(I am so sorry... I am only jealous and that is the truth. Michellob is a bad man.)
  12. ethics

I love the nick, Michellob!

Andy, I can't wait...
  13. Andy

You know.. once I get one, I just might have to go digging up my old SETI client and a bunch of WU's I have stashed on a disk as backup, and see how many WU's more a day these baby's will do compared to what I know an XP1700 I had would have done 3-4 years ago. ;)
  14. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

My 2.8 Gig (overclocked to 3.08) does 2 wu's at a time in about 8 hours. My new duo core 2500 (2 Gig speed) does 2 Wu's at a time in about 3-4 hours.
  15. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

I came across an interesting link on another site this morning. It shows figures for Apples sales in the computer market. Despite all the increased buzz about the Intel Macs it looks like they are not gaining much in market penetration.

So far they have gained an additional 0.02% of the market over last year. Should be interesting to see if they can overcome the inirtia and make the inroads some would like to see them make in the market.
  16. Andy

If I'm any gauge for "informed" consumers thinking of switching..

Maybe everyone else is awaiting the next wave of technology? (After this weeks announcements at the Apple Dev Con?)

Dual duo-core Intels inside a G5 seems more appetizing to me right now than the standard dual core G5 currently offered.
  17. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Damn straight on that. I don't expect they'll be cheap either, but if I'm going to spend 8K on a new machine, I want it to be latest technology. (And with 8GB of RAM, too.)

18. Andy

Cripes. 8K? :eek:

Even with tossing in my extra 2GB of ram..(which if they go with the new stuff I've read about, I'' lave to get better.. faster bus speed and all) I'm not even going to throw down more than 3K tops.
  19. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

3K? Have fun with your mac mini...
  20. Andy

We'll see young Skywalker.... they took down the Applestore store page just a few minutes ago.. to "update" :D

Keynote speech @ WWDC starts in less than 30 minutes.