1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting to Mac

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Andy, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Andy

Yes, seriously looking into jumping ship, someday, with a few concerns...

Don't care about software.. I will survive in that department as long as I can figure out how to do MAC versions of addons with WoW. :thumbsup:

My concern is hardware.

Will my mouse, (Logitec USB gaming one I bought a while back) keyboard (USB type) , monitor (Dell 21" widescreen with DVI input)... etc work with MAC?
  2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

USB is USB? Hence the name "Universal".
  3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Wow, Andy, you will never look back. If I had the money right now, I'd be playing WoW on a MAC. Hell, I would be doing 90% of my work on Mac (Java programming is even BETTER on MAC).
  4. Andy

Yeah but will all the multitude mice buttons function as intended?

Asking because of this one I bought..

Besides, I always thouhgt MAC mice were one button wonders.

Shows how much I've worked with one. :D

And the monitor with DVI input will do fine too?

No special video format for MACs?
  5. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Piqued my curiosity, and I found this:

Jan 2005 Review of Mac Mini

6. Andy

Kick ass.

Thanks for the tips guys..

I'm seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on a G5 tower in the near future... at least in September when the wife goes back to teaching.

Knowing all I really need is the tower and I can use a lot of my hardware I already have and love makes it even easier.
  7. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Just something to be aware of, if you go the Intel Mac route, buy it with the minimum memory and minimum peripheral drives. Apple charges a buttload for RAM and DVD drives that you can get just about anywhere. ;)
  8. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Have the same mouse. Since it's a gaming mouse, it's pretty much a no brainer that the drivers would be designed for XP.
  9. Andy

'nuther noob question...

I see in the specs for the G5 tower it comes with "512MB of 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-4200)"

Am I right in assuming this is the same PC-4200 I currently use in PCs?

No more MAC speciific RAM?

If so, I am so golden, I have 2 GIG worth sitting in this rig. :D

And PCI-express vid cards work just fine too?

Already got the official okie-dokie from the minister of finance (wife) and we are pulling the trigger on a Dual core G5 in September.

Gives me plenty of time to dive into a MAC for dummies book and get a handle on what's what.:happy:
  10. eakes

eakes Registered User

Yes, same memory. Mac specific requirements went away years ago.

Enjoy your new Mac. Have been a Mac user since 1985. Presently have 7 Macs that are workable.
  11. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Wow Andy, keep us posted...I'm considering going the Mac route myself as well.

12. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

The only thing about graphics cards in your Mac will be the drivers. Make sure they are offered for your exact video card.

Most are. nVidia and ATI have been supporting Mac for years.

BTW... Mac is an abbreviation, not an acronym. So Andy especially, if you refer to it as a MAC and not a Mac, I'll have to call you a noob. ;)
  13. Andy

Years of bad habit of talking about MAC addresses. :rofl:

And see.. the thing about hardware not being Mac (better? ;)) specific anymore..

THAT is where IMHO they would gain more customers if they would advertise something along the lines of that more often.

I knew they were doing Intel inside now on certain models, but I wasn't aware of the extent of universal hardware capabilities until I went looking for answers.

What really wanted me to switch?

Just getting sick of the endless M$ Bull$hit, and I realy see Vista as being the deathnell of M$.
    Heck, even Gates left. :D

This is going to rock, I can feel it already.
  14. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Actually, I don't think you need to spend the bucks, all you really need is this. :whistle:
  15. Sierra Mike

Copz (or anyone),

I seem to recall hearing that the Mac (and the software that was designed for it) were far superior to the PCs with regards to graphics. Rendering and the like, as well as just screen draws. Is this still the case? Wasn't Photoshop originally made for the Mac?

16. ethics

Yes on all counts. Mac is by far superior for graphics and video editing. At least when I tried it with a Mac Pro vs. a Dell Laptop (and even a PC desktop). The Mac Pros even come with two different screen types, one designed to accentuate the graphics/video should you go that route.
  17. Sierra Mike

You're probably talking about a G5 platform then, right?

18. ethics

Both laptop and G5.
  19. Sierra Mike

Damn, I just walked over to our advanced technology development area, and they have G5s loaded up with 16GB of RAM...and these totally sweet 30-inch cinematic monitors!! Almost 25K worth of equipment for a grandiose workstation!

20. Andy

More for my personal self reference later when I'll need it..

But I found this nice "switcher's guide" :)