1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contest: Build the best multimedia PC for $600

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Techie2000, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

This idea is almost blatently stolen from CPU Magazine. Anyways here is how it works. I give a category of the type of PC, and the budget. You go out and "construct" the best PC for the job with your "budget" with a limit of 5 different stores. The person that "constructs" the best PC for the designated purpose as determined by myself and two other judges designated by me gets some GAD. I think $300 for the winner and $30 for participating sounds good.

<u>Judges</u>
    Techie2000
    mrRT

<u>Rules</u><LI>One entry per person, per round.</LI><LI>Once you click submit that is your final entry for the contest and you cannot change it.</LI><LI>Once you have your entry completed PM me the setup. Once the contest is over (one week from the post) then I will post all the entries.</LI><LI>Any parts that you can give me a link to verify the price of are permissable. In fact I want links to all the parts from the stores to verify that the setup is valid. Not permissable are any parts that they sell to you that they state were used/returned and they haven't tested to see if they were working. Also any parts that you claim you already have or are getting from a friend such as that old floppy drive in the attic cannot be used.</LI><LI>As far as the operating systems go you have to pay for it, except I will allow you to use Linux, FreeBSD, or other free OS for free. However the Free OSes won't always be the best for the job</LI>
    <u>Hints</u>
    Don't forget vital components such as keyboards, power supplies, and ribbon cable for OEM drives. Althought that's not an issue with retail box motherboards as they normally include ribbon cables. If your computer is "unusable" then you won't win...

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

mrRT would probably be awesome as a judge, if he chooses not to go for the 300 himself. :)

3. jamming

jamming Banned

I would prefer to be a judge too Techie, that way people who didn't do it for a living once are not getting an unfair advantage.

I am assuming by PC you are talking about the "Box" and not all the extra's such as monitors and speakers.

4. Techie2000

I am in fact talking about Monitors, speakers, and everything else.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

For 600 hundred?!?

WOW! Hey, whomever wins this contest will probably point me to get my own! :)

6. Techie2000

Yup. $600. You have to be creative. And yeah that's part of the bonus, people here can look at the systems people submit for ideas on building their own...:)

7. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

The computer I built last year came to just under $800 .. that's everything from monitor to mouse, including WinXP Home, a new UPS, a router and a desk. No printer ... I'm still using my trusty HP 672C. I did it over a period of several months, starting by upgrading my old AMD K6-II 500. When I got to the point where the only upgrades left were MoBo, CPU and hard drive, I went for it. The old parts went back into the K6-II, which is what my kids bang around on. And I've got this spiffy Athlon XP system all to myself!

I'm still pretty darn proud of myself. :)

8. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Glad to help out...just let me know

9. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Techie not that I'm going to participate but I have a question that might affect the way this goes down. Do you have to include an os in the price or can you say you used the os you already had on this new computer. I think that might be a good question here right?

I actually had a comp built to my specs two years ago and didn't have to pay for an os cause I had one already. I paid just under 600 bucks.

10. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Another pertinent question that may need to be addressed: Are refurbished, open-box, and/or used parts permissible? Just to make it complicated, you understand. :)

11. Techie2000

Great:)! Now we got our three judges. As far as rules clarifications goes...

1. Any parts that you can give me a link to verify the price of are permissable. In fact I want links to all the parts from the stores to verify that the setup is valid. Not permissable are any parts that they sell to you that they state were used/returned and they haven't tested to see if they were working. Also any parts that you claim you already have or are getting from a friend such as that old floppy drive in the attic cannot be used.

2. As far as the operating systems go you have to pay for it, except I will allow you to use Linux, FreeBSD, or other free OS for free. However the Free OSes won't always be the best for the job...

12. Twingo

Twingo Registered User

I like this idea, just wondering by what do you mean "multimedia pc" what are its minimum functional requirements. I would imagine therefor if its for multimedia purposes it needs sound/speakers ect, but would it require DVD. Just thoughts like that. If you could fill out the reqs for the pc I'll start right away :)

13. Twingo

Twingo Registered User

Another question. How do we figure shipping into things. Some sites won't mention shipping charges untill you're actually ordering the stuff. So are those sites null and void. Do we have to find somewhere that will show specifically what the shipping charges are ??

14. Techie2000

1. Multimedia PC is basically a PC used for Multimedia (video editing, DVD watching, etc.) and what you do is completely open ended.

2. Shipping is not figured into the price. Leon pays for shipping...;)

15. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

When does this start??

I have an entry ready to go! :happy:

16. Techie2000

The last day to submit entries is for 1/14/2003 no entries will be accepted dated after 1/14/2003 23:59 EST.

17. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Do a good job, guys... I've never built a PC, and so I won't try and enter, but I'll probably take the winning design and actually build it for myself.

18. Techie2000

Guys, it's worth it just to try and enter. Heck you make $30 GAD just for entering which is decent.

19. Techie2000

Come on people! We only have 2 I repeat 2 submissions so far. This could be an easy $300 GAD!!!

20. Twingo

Twingo Registered User

woo hoo ... no competition ;) I like free wins :)