1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering upgrading my PC

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Techie2000, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Okay I currently have

Tyan Trinity 400 Motheboard c.1999
    Intel Pentium III 800MHz Flip Chip (Coppermine) c.2000-1 (I forget either Dec. 2000 or Jan 2001) (The warranty is almost up)
    512MB of PC133 SDRAM
    GeForce III Ti200 64MB DDR c.2001
    40GB Western Digital 7200RPM HDD ATA/100 (running at ATA/66) c. 2001
    Soundblaster PCI 16 c.2002
    Hauppauge WinTV Go c.2002
    HiVal 24x10x40x CD-RW c.2002
    Lite-On 16x48x DVD-ROM c.2002

Anyways I'm looking at upgrading my Motherboard, CPU, and RAM. It seems to be my current bottleneck on my system. My CPU is just starting to feel old considering their are PDAs that go half the speed, and all my friends are getting 2.4GHz P4s. But the biggest reason I want to upgrade is gaming. I game a lot, and I get 10-20 FPS in Jedi Knight II and BF1942 if I want decent graphics. I'm looking at the Asus A7N8X Deluxe, mostly because it has the latest stuff on it (serial ATA, USB 2.0, etc) so it will last a long time, and it runs the nForce2 chipset which NVIDIA provides Linux drivers for. I'm wondering what people's thoughts are. Also should I buy now and try to go for holiday deals, or wait for prices to get knocked down Q1 of 2003? The thing I'm most worried about is the new standards that are coming out. Should I wait for PCI-X or whatever it is called?

2. Scott

Scott Some Assembly Required

heh---i have 2 systems using the trinity 400 (one 1gig, 1 800mhz, both flip chips). you should wait till Q-1 2003 to build. i didn't wait last time, and i now have a 1.8A P-4, where if i waited i'd have the 2.4 at the same price. with it, i got the Soyo fire dragon Mobo. i was one of the first to get it. the hype about the board was all great, but it turns out that i can't OC it even 2MHZ on the FSB without lockups :(. i hear nothing but rave reviews about the asus boards though. my next system will be built with one. they OC like a mofo!!!! you can squeeze 2.4ghz out of a 1.8 with stock cooling :). just imagine what you could do with a 3.06ghz..........

3. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Are you talking Intel? nforce=AMD

4. Scott

Scott Some Assembly Required

DOH!!! i overlooked that little piece of info :D

5. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

ASUS is way cool for OC...but beware Scott...If that board goes DOA (whether OC or not) the vendor you bought it from will probably not take it back for return, but make you send it directly to ASUS...Which actually kinda sux....And the other thing is the newer boards for the P4 have some issues when you load 'em up with RAM...lockup /reboot stuff, but I expect ASUS will patch to fix that.

Don't get me wrong either...I just love ASUS stuff too, but am alittle hesitant with their new return policy and stability issues..

6. Wacko

Wacko Helllllooo Nurrrse

I would wait as several other manufacturers are coming out with motherboars that have the nforce2 chipset.

Epox now has the EP-8RGA+, and EP-8RDA+ with nforce2 chipsets

Abit has the NF7-S with nforce2 chipset out. I saw all three of these on pricewatch, and they may be worth a look.

I'm looking at the Abit board myself to replace my Iwill KK266plus motherboard.