1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Congrats California

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by jamming, Jan 14, 2003.

1. jamming

jamming Banned

Well as Bush unveiled his plan to improve the economy, you folks in California are getting the shaft by Greyout Davis. He is raising your taxes, adding fees, making local communities responsible for programs the state was doing without funding, new sales taxes and trying to screw the Indians on their reservation gambling again.

I guess Democrats can't stand to see the economy even having a chance to rebound if it happens under GW Bush. Even if the rest of the country turns it around are we going to have a big anchor on the rest of the country called California?

2. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

It's all Enron's fault!

3. mike

mike mesmerized

You know, I did not miss CA one bit-the longer I was away from there and heard of all the reports from "back home", the more I realized how screwed up Kali was and that I had made a good move. The sales tax bs, the cig tax bs (make a % of population pay for a democRat's screw-ups?), license fee crap, and all of the reductions in already poor services? And it wasn't the populations' fault?
    And SAC expects to bring more businesses and job into CA from other states? Please explain how they plan to do so? The PRK is so overregulated it is really not funny.

We're already looking for where to put in for a transfer.
    For the PRK.....:chuck:

And Gov. Davis-----:kissmy:

Time to move back to a free state.

4. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

Well put.

I'll agree that, once in awhile, those folks on the 'shakey side' have the right idea. eg: They were the first to get pissy about automobile emission standards. Now, the rest of the States seem to agree; and many of the standards reflect what CA required years ago.

But, the rest of the time?
    From the folks building on known major earthquake faults? From the folks that require water from other states to make their desert inhabitable?

A lovely, lovely place. I've visited there many times. I'm envious.
    But at what cost, this phony environment?
    Well, they're beginning to find out.

Regards,

5. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

California is not alone. Around the country states and localities are all facing huge drop=offs in revenues and are engaged in budget cutting and tax increasing. Because of rising unemployment some spending pressures are increasing, too. Most states and localities are required to balance their budgets, and they do not have a lot of choice. Others are doing the same thing as California. E.g., NYC has just raised property taxes by about 20%. NY State has a huge deficit but, the Governor being a good Republican, has so far fudged how he will handle it and hints at no tax increases -- that is, he lies.

For facts rather than rhetoric see, STATE BUDGET DEFICITS
    FOR FISCAL YEAR 2004 ARE HUGE AND GROWING, at:

http://www.centeronbudget.org/12-23-02sfp.htm

For lots of detailed reports on specific sectors of government activities see:

http://www.cbpp.org/statecrisis.htm

This sort of thing happens in each recession and usually the feds help out by giving some financial aid to states as well as extending unemployment insurance benefits. The Bushies are not doing anything to help out. Instead they want to cut taxes for their friends.

The program that Bush has announced to create jobs and deal with the economy is no such thing, of course. He is a liar, too. Less than 10% of the cost of his package will affect the economy in the relatively short run, the rest consists mainly of tax cuts for his friends in future years that will do nothing to aid an economic recovery. For a summary of some of the provisions see:

Stimulus for Lawyers, By PAUL KRUGMAN,at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/14/opinion/14KRUG.html

So while Gov. Davis may be a dud, please put the blame for the fiscal mess where it belongs -- on the Bush recession. :)

6. Wacko

Wacko Helllllooo Nurrrse

Since I live in California I feel that I should answer your question Jamming. You said "Even if the rest of the country turns it around are we going to have a big anchor on the rest of the country called California?". The Answer to your question is "YES".

7. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Salient points all, and if elected I will address them all...just as soon as I mine the border and determine which one of the 47 other contiguous states I will be making a gift of 3 million illegal aliens to...thank you for your patience :p

8. mike

mike mesmerized

Hell, SAC likes to act as if it were the gov't of its' own nation (5th,6th,7th,whatever largest economy in the world), why not put a vote to the people in favor of seceding from the US? Oh yeah, I forgot, CA isn't so self-sufficient at all.:rolleyes:

Maybe Mother Nature will do it for them in the form of the "Big One!!":haha:

9. mike

mike mesmerized

Coot, just as long as you don't plagiarize someone else's speech....you got my vote.

10. jamming

jamming Banned

You must mean the one that started before Bush was elected and was caused to be a little more severe by a shut down in our airline and travel industires, plus the air shipping industry for several days? Yeah that must be the one your talking about, I think it is more apply named the Clinton-Bore Debacle of eight years. Which just goes to show that it takes eight years of executive mismanagement to keep a good economy down. :cool: Despite the Republican Congress balancing the budget by refusing to hike spending since 1994.

11. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Bush is not guilt free. But part of the cause is the spending required due to Clinton's underfunding of the DOD for 8 years. And then add the financial climate caused by 9/11 and you have the recession. My memory is not so short that I have forgotten the economy was headed down before the election.

12. jamming

jamming Banned

I am willing to give Bush a pass on the economy, but since you lost your job Shiny I understand why you might not. I think there were a few more important things to get going on and during the first year the President and his people are still studying the problems. I think it is naive of everyone to think that we can have business as usual and a war going on.

13. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

No, Robert. It wasn't Bush and it wasn't Clinton, either. It was and is Davis and the overspending liberal legislature. They fully control the government here and have spent to their hearts content. They've taxed business so much, they are all leaving the state, and the tax base is shrinking even more. They've embraced the illegal immigration lobby like water to a thirsty jackass. They deregulated the electrical utilities, but refused to allow them to enter into long-term contracts with the suppliers, who then promptly raised their rates. When the rates were at their highest, Davis then stepped in and signed those long-term contracts, as well as promising to bail the utilities out. Two years ago we had a 5 billion dollar surplus, and now a 25+ billion dollar deficit. Everyday we see articles in the local papers about how the movie industry is filming more productions out of state. Here we tax them to film, elsewhere they give them tax breaks, knowing of the money they will put into the local economies.

14. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Oh make it texas - pleeeeeaaaassssseeee make it Texas ;)

15. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

Texas would be good. There is a big ranch in a part of Texas that I hear the owner of is very friendly to the illegals. It should be easy to find. It is the only "Ranch" in the area, the rest are called farms, and it doesn't make any money.

wapu

16. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Well, if I'm elected, I plan on moving all of the illegal immigrants that California loves into the valley. Then I plan on resuming nuclear bomb testing in a new facility built on the San Andreas Faultline. This immediately after I buy up a bunch of cheap property in Nevada.

I realize I may lose a few electorate votes from the west coast, but I expect to make the votes up from the rest of the country. I also do not expect to lose electorate votes from the west coast in my re-election campaign, because there will be no west coast.

Thank you. Thank you very much.

17. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Guys, take of your partican glasses and read what I said and put it in context. Just two points.

1) Context. Every president takes and gets credit for the good times on his watch. Every president gets blame for bad times on his watch. We all know that they usually had little of nothing to do with the causes, but they get credit or blame by being there. That is how political dialogue goes. Like it or not, this is going to be known as a Bush recession.

2) If the California fiscal problem were soley caused by irresponsible California liberals one would not find similar problems in most states, whether or not the Governors/legislatrures are Republican or Democratic. There is a national recession, getting worse, I think, and since time immemorial states have run into such crises when the national economy takes a dive.

Nevertheless, Davis will get the blame for the tax increases for the same reason Bush gets the blame for the recession. That's the game, een if we know it ain't true.

18. martissimo

martissimo Veteran Member

There are several states with multi billion dollar deficits due to the recession, ours here in California is certainly excaberated by the longterm rates we agreed to during the energy fiasco, but there wasnt a whole heck of a lot that could be done, we needed the power, the federal government wouldn't step in and we got robbed plain and simple.

it's kind of a shame that the courts wouldn't listen to the evidence very much on this that proved that the people selling the power in the agreements falsified their profit margin estimates when selling, but that's what got us here primarily (in combination with the recession)... i wonder how many people in other states would be willing to do without power on a fairly regularly basis in order to maintain a balanced budget?

not to say that Davis is helping much as the governor, because he isn't, but his back was firmly against the wall last summer on the power issue

19. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

No flaming here but I have a question. Many of us in the other 49 have been led to believe that many Californians have refused to have new power plants built in their communities, the "not in my back yard syndrome". Did this contribute to the power problems and the resultant money crunch?

20. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

The estimate of $35 Billion is the Governor's estimate, most analysts put it closer to $24 Billion, still not chump change, but keep that $24 Billion figure in mind for just a minute.

Joe Davis came into office on his first term with a substantial treasury surplus and with tax revenues exceeding the budget. Where was that money coming from? Capital gains taxes on the excercise of stock options from a booming Silicon Valley. The first priority of Joe Davis and the legislature was to spend all the surplus and increase the state budget by 35%...as if the tech boom was never going to stop. They went through cash like a bunch of binging crackwhores.

Then came the electricity debacle that he mismanaged and mangled to the tune of $20 Billion in upside down contracts.

Now, by Davis' own admission, all the taxes and cuts he's planning should amount to...guess how much? $24 Billion dollars. The guy screws up the state worse than it has ever been, and then just as his term expires, he's the hero that pulled California's fiscal fat out of a fire of his own making just in time to form an exploratory committee for a run at the Whitehouse.