1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Company Claims Discovery of Obesity Gene

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Coot, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Story Here

I'm not holding my breath, but it would certainly be interesting if this one pans out.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

So wadda ya say? No more fat people in, say, 100 years?

3. John R. Beanham

John R. Beanham Typical Aussie Male

The first time I went to the US in 1983 I was impressed by how trim and fit 'most' of the people were.

The second time in 2000, I was amazed and saddened by how much weight 'most' had put on.

The 'Obesity Gene' is out of its cage and is rampant.

John.

4. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

This is a load of hooey! The only gene linked to obesity is the one allowing our hands to reach for the Entenmann's boxes. Push the plates away people, get off the couches, and head to the gym. There are no miracle cures that will allow us to sloth around the house, face down in a 28 oz. bag of Doritos, while maintaining a svelte physique. It ain't gonna happen.

5. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I believe that you are wrong. I expect that in my lifetime, obesity will be "cured."

We are on the verge of a major biological revolution. It is exciting to imagine the possibilities. Perhaps we will even learn to defeat the aging process. It sounds like "hooey," but so did flying and going into space.

6. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

I have observed enough obese people to know that--except in rare cases--most of them eat like there is no tomorrow, and they don't exercise much at all. IMO there is nothing to be cured, as this is not a disease that has randomly befallen them. It is the natural result of their abnormal behavior, which must stop for the situation to change. BTW we surely can retard the aging process, but "defeat" as in immortality?

7. jamming

jamming Banned

If they do find out it is genetic then a hell of you appear to be headed toward having to do a lot of apologizing to fat people. Then your own pride in your svelte figures will now have more to do with genes rather than your own behaviors.

That would be rather hard to swallow.:angel: :idea: :rolleyes:

8. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Well I used the word "cure" with quotation marks because I know that most obese people are not diseased. I agree with you completely that MOST (NOT ALL) obese people could be much, much more slender if they would just eat more sensibly and exercise more. I recently lost 25 pounds and am back down to 190 pounds. I still eat like a pig, but I make up for it by exercising.

As for the aging process, well I don't really kow. I am just suggesting that it may be possible someday. If you could live forever, would you? Most people say they don't want to live forever, but most people aren't ever "ready" for death yet either. Look at all the pills we feed our seniors? Look at all the expensive surgeries we perform on the elderly to extend their miserable lives. Why?

9. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

I know from my own personal experience that it ain't genetic. Sit around on the couch all day eating chips and dip = gain 5 lbs., 10 lbs., 20 lbs., etc. Get off couch, eat fruits and vegetables, run in the neighborhood, visit gym 3x/week = lose 5 lbs., 10 lbs., 20 lbs., etc.

Why does this further example of personal responsibility trouble everyone so? For the most part, we are what we make of ourselves, rather than the victims of random misfortune.

10. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

Not unless some people who are with me today came along for the ride. Wouldn't want to go solo on that flight. :)