1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Companies STILL Not Hiring

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sierra Mike, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

No, of course not, they would rather not lose a penney to their predicted dividend and scream at the government to lower their taxes. If this were me and you one of us would be charged with blackmail.

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Yep. :)

How goes the job search, Shiny?

SM

4. ShinyTop

Had three openings in my town this week. Probably hundreds of applications but I applied! Two are county and one is anonymous but sounds like larger company. My physical disabilities have been working against me. Many want you to "Oh, ya, you will need to install some computers, you can carry them, can't you?" My doctor says 20 lbs the most and then not often. Would take lesser paying telephonic support but they look at my work experience and say I am over qualified. Old story. Did not think I was disabled but may have to look into that. When unemployment runs out I would be hurting. Hell, tried to sell my blood to a serological place the other day and would not take due to heart attack 7 years ago. They were offering a $100 a week if you had received small pox vacs before. That's a low blow.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Steve, it's January, no one hires in January while everyone is still waiting for the mention of the bonuses--if any.

February and March are the months where people start moving around.

6. jamming

jamming Banned

The Debate about the economic stimulous plan should help move companies forward, especially the part of the package that helps contribute to long term growth.

7. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Disability? As in Social Security Disability? Now that is something that brings warm and fuzzy feelings to mind. Steve, care to loan me a toy or two from your friends?

It took me 3 years and an Administrative Law judge to 'encourage' (read order) Social Security to stop saying silly things like I was fine and fully able to do full gainful activity after neurosurgery in 1994 went to hell and a 5-7 day stay in hospital wound up being 4 month 5 days. A 2 week outpatient rehab wound up being a lifetime of rehab with more complications after that as well. I did not get disability until 5/1997 with the first payment until June or July 1997.

The kicker is that even if you are declared disabled immediately (unless they have changed the regulations since 1997) there is a 24 month waiting period before benefits begin. If you do decide to apply, I would get a lawyer to go through the process with you. The bastards will put you through the wringer. Their only goal is to deny. I had a stack of doctors saying I had things wrong with me, backed by MRIs, medical records, lab results and it made no difference.

It took a judge to set the record straight. My lawyer said the only other client of his who ever got a larger back settlement had to sue in federal court which works under different rules as fas as lawyer compensation goes. Of course, by the time I got my settlement, I was so out of resources and owed so much, that in late 2000 we had to declare Chapter 7. And so it goes.

Yeah, warm and fuzzy feelings.

Mike

8. jamming

jamming Banned

Mike's experience is not unusual, but I would suggest you find some former SS Employees that have started business to act as your representative. They worked the law from the other side and generally got tired of the crapping on people who they now work for, Mine was White and Associates which served my former area of Florida. Their success rate was higher than most lawyers.

9. ShinyTop

That does not sound good. Just making my first application. Was told by local SSA person to apply by phone but to expect to be turned down several times. Was also told to include every medical problem, even if I thought it should not apply. I know they should make you prove disability but years to process and repeated refusals even when warranted. Seems like another process to be be right proud of our government.

10. jamming

jamming Banned

You might have to pay for some testing out of pocket, but in the long run it is worth it. Document, Document, Document....

11. IamZed

IamZed ...

I have never had an employer offer me shit other than a 401K co payment. I guess thats my fault but I really dont like the tenure style environment.

12. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Same goes for me, I guess.