1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comedy, Washington Style

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by dainbramage, Dec 9, 2002.

1. dainbramage

dainbramage Land Of The Lost

Comedy, Washington Style
    by Steve Young

Two Negroes walk into a South Carolina bar... now you go pick the punchline:
    - Shotguns aimed at their heads, they're asked nicely to leave
    - They're arrested trying to drink in a "Whites Only" bar.
    - At least they're not Jews.

All great jokes, huh?

Well, pretty much that's what CNN's Bob Novak -- and other defenders of Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott's "segregation works for me" gag told at Senator Strom Thurmond's 100th birthday bash -- would have you believe.

Novak said on this past Sunday's Meet The Press that Lott as "kidding around."

Funny stuff, huh?

Guess it won't be long before Lott'll be taking over Carrot Top's AT&T Collect Call commercials.

What Lott actually said was:

>>> "I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran for
    >>> president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest
    >>> of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all
    >>> these problems over all these years, either."

Leno couldn't have made that one any funnier.

To make this joke really work for you, you have to first understand that in 1948, Thurmond, then governor of South Carolina, was the presidential nominee of the Dixiecrat Party. During his campaign against Democrat Harry S. Truman, who supported civil rights legislation, Thurmond said, "All the laws of Washington and all the bayonets of the Army cannot force the Negro into our homes, our schools, our churches."

Tell me you aren't falling on the floor laughing!

Now let's imagine that Tom Daschle told a joke that if Hitler had won the war, we wouldn't have the problems we have today. Funny, huh? Think the Radio Talk gods would have given Terrible Tom a free pass on that one? Of course they would -- because it was a joke, right?

I can just see the Washington comedy clubs filling up with Senators and Congressman trying to break into stand-up comedy. Just think of the hilarious targets and topics for material besides segregation! Anti-Semitism! Mental handicaps! Birth defects! Those crazy young soldiers coming home in body-bags.

Seem a bit harsh?

Come on, where's youre sense of humor?

2. mikeky

mikeky Member

Well, I would imagine he was not referring to racial views of Thurmond but to economic/other policies, at least I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

From a couple different sources http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/news/4697608.htm http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82%7E1865%7E1037426,00.html :
    "Through a spokesman Sunday, Lott said, "My comments were not an endorsement of (Thurmond's) positions of over 50 years ago, but of the man and his life."

'"Spokesman Ron Bonjean issued a two-sentence statement: "Senator Lott's remarks were intended to pay tribute to a remarkable man who led a remarkable life. To read anything more into these comments is wrong." '

Is it not possible these days for someone to say something without it being dissected to be given the most sinister spin possible?

3. jamming

jamming Banned

4. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

What Jim Said.

I expect *some* degree of intelligence in my elected officials. Senior ones at that. The spin is when their true feelings come out and they have to backtrack.

Poor taste, bad judgment.

A person's views can change over time. What would have been so wrong to simply say 'Job well done for a lifetime of service to your state and nation'?

I was always told to engage the brain before engaging the mouth. A lesson I still try to remember.

Should be a required course.

5. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Trent Lott gives me the creeps. I think John Ashcroft is a more loveable guy than Lott. I look at Lott and say, McCain, and I wonder how these guys can be in the same party.

SM

6. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

What can we expect from the brain-dead Republican leadership?

7. limeygit

limeygit Assume Sarcasm...

Somewhat OT

This reminded me of the SNL Weekend Update joke during the primaries for the 2000 election.

"and the vote is important because South Carolina gives an indication of how the rest of the country would vote... in 1835"

8. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Holy crap, Limey, you watch SNL?

9. limeygit

limeygit Assume Sarcasm...

The re-runs on comedy central at 3am...

10. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

That must explain why I like you.

11. -Ken

-Ken Guest

We need to remember there are still relics from days gone by in power. George Wallace was one of the most hateful figures in politics that later in life apologized for his beliefs. I was afraid Strom Thurmond might be the last of a dying breed but thankfully Haywire dispelled any fears I might have had about a premature extinction of the species.

Trent Lott - Who does (or should I say did) his writing for him? Didn't he have the good sense to prescreen his material?

We would like to think our elder statesmen would be able to conduct themselves in a manner befitting their office but sadly this is sometimes not the case.

I would like to point out if President Bush had made this remark we would be crucifying him.

12. fritzmp

fritzmp Fire Fire For Effect

And Lincoln liked going to the darky shows. Not all is as it appears and people are not as bad as they are made out to be. BTW, that street runs in both directions. Reading the hearts of men is still out of reach, so the words they may use are not a good measure, only their deeds.

13. rowd

rowd Spark Maker

14. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Hey, Lott issued a public apology today, according to the radio. Whether he apologized for being a dork himself was not mentioned.

SM

15. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

He did pre-screen it. He's been saying the same sort of thing for years, but mostly back in his home state.

For those of youtoo young to remember 1948, which is most of you, I suspect, a reminder of what an evil turd Thurmond was is in order. Here is a good brief descriptrion.

Excerpt:

Way back in 1948, Strom Thurmond, then South Carolina's governor, bolted the Democratic Party to run as the States Rights Party's presidential candidate.

Upset with Harry S Truman's embrace of civil rights, Thurmond ran an avowedly racist campaign and won four Southern states with 39 electoral votes. Among other things, Thurmond said, "We stand for the segregation of the races. ... All the laws of Washington and all the bayonets of the Army cannot force the Negroes into [our] homes, [our] schools, [our] churches and [our] places of recreation."

Thurmond became a Republican in 1964. At a party celebrating his 100th birthday last week, Lott said, "I want to say this about my state [Mississippi]. When Strom Thurmond ran for President, we voted for him. We're proud of it, and if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years."

More at:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wn_report/story/42542p-40150c.html

It is true that later in life Strom became less overtly a racist bastard. He did so only when blacks were permitted to vote in his elections -- something he had tried to head off for most of his career.

Trent Lott is cut from the same cloth. Great depiction of him here:

http://www.uclick.com/client/nyt/ta/