1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clonaid Claims 1ST Human Clone Has Been Born

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Coot, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

These are the whackjobs that were supposedly 'racing' the Italian whackjob to see who would do it first. I think I'll wait on the DNA evidence to come in on this one thank you.

http://abc.net.au/news/2002/12/item20021227132452_1.htm

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

But wasn't it a whackjob that got all this started to begin with?

Sorry.. Couldn't resist that one.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Anyone want to bet it's not a real clone?

4. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I'm not formulating any opinions until an independant scientist confirms this and then undergoes a test to make sure he wasn't drugged during the process...

5. Coot

There may be something to this after all. The clonaid cult believes Earth was genetically engineered by aliens. This is the woman, Brigitte Boisselier, who purportedly did the cloning. Clearly, she looks to be half alien herself.

6. Domh

Domh Full Member

Great holy batshit, Robin, that woman is fugly.

7. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Check out http://www.rael.org to read about this religious cult. I know all of you will dismiss it as fantasy, but I find it at least as plausible as any other religion. It is interesting, to say the least. :)

It looks like other people are checking out what this Raelian stuff is too because the website is busy.

8. Coot

No bueno, the site's farked.

9. ethics

The Raeleans' Web site seems to have conveniently disappeared, but the <a href="http://web.archive.org/web/20010821082240/www.transatlanticpub.com/cat/social/yest0105.htm">Internet Archive Wayback Machine</a> has a copy of a page promoting a 2001 book called "Yes to Human Cloning: Eternal Life Thanks to Science":

Boisselier asserts that Eve is "healthy," but the record of cloned animals suggests the possibility of health problems later in life. <a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2608655.stm">"Some animals have shown defects as they age," the BBC notes.</a> "Scientists fear the same could happen with humans."

New Scientist reports that Dolly, the first cloned sheep, developed a case of arthritis, suggesting that it was aging prematurely.

"Some critics of cloning suspect that this is a genetic defect created by the cloning process."

The desire to clone oneself would seem to bespeak a monstrous narcissism; ending up with a defective copy of oneself would seem a horrific punishment for narcissism. Then again, is there any reason to believe the Raeleans' pronouncements? Since when do the media take seriously the pronouncements of UFO cults? And you know what's sickening? The CNN and Headline news had this story GOING and going and going the whole damn day, at least according to a few people that watch these channels.

My conclusion: Nothing but a cheap publicity stunt and the media, while it doesn't have anything new to report, took the bait, hook, line, and sinker.

10. Coot

Yeah, but this story has legs. It'll have legs even <strike>if</strike> when this claim is proved to be a hoax via DNA testing. It's going to happen, maybe not this year...maybe not next, but it will happen with our without international proscription against it. All the ethical considerations that are of no small concern now won't go away.

11. ethics

You know what bothers me the most about this whole ethical issue of cloning?

With the stringent rules the US scientists have on cloning, (and by the way, I consider the US scientist, arguably, the most responsible of the lot) the first success will be either a European, or Asian, with the US having to pay patent fees to utilize pieces of the research, or some boobs like these folks here. Undeniably, more irresponsible than any of the certified scientists.

12. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Amen, the religious right cannot stop it but they will make our country behind in the use of the technology.

13. Coot

Agreed Shiny, there's a wide chasm separating the cloning of human beings and the cloning of organs or even embryos for stem cells. Blind, backward looking religious ignorance will likely put this country behind the technology curve.

14. Biker

Here's something.. There's a poll on CNNs website asking folks if they think the claim is real. 1 out of 3 think it is (Currently 34% think it is vs. 66% think it isn't)

15. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Excuse me but what does not liking the idea of cloning have to do with religion???? An honest question here. Dying to know the answer.

I for one don't like the idea of cloning humans as a whole but it has nothing with any religion.

16. Biker

Why else would a normally rational human being oppose such technology?

Running like hell for the door now. Hee hee hee

17. ethics

It's the concept of what's legal and what isn't in this country. People say that there's no "church" in government but someone lobbied for the Bush and Congress to outlaw stem cell research and cloning.

While I agree there should be stringent laws, with moral responsibilities attached to this type of research, the US should not have its hands handcuffed and sit idle while the rest of the world moves on.

We will pay dearly not only with money for this type of technology but with our lives as well.

18. Coot

In This Case, I Think It's Safe to Shoot the Messenger

Here's an article from Reuters (it's kind of hard to botch this story) that has a little more info on the background of the Raelians
    Of course, that Samurai cum Klingon look he's sporting is just kickin' :_

19. claire

claire Registered User

In Belgium reproductive cloning is forbidden but not the researches on stem cells(is it the right english word?)cloning.
    IMHO it's an outrage to let a child come to life(if it's really so) in the today's stade of knowledge.
    98% of the cloned animals died and the remaining 2%
    suffer from brain's,kidneys and liver deseases and from
    accelerated aging.
    So since the results are so poor with animals why try this on human?
    IMHO ,as Ethics pointed out,it's only a cheap publicity stunt and/or greed(because the "Fares" asked for
    such manipulations are enormous. :mad:

20. jamming

jamming Banned

Do you have a place where this data is detailed?