1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clinton I

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by yazdzik, Jan 26, 2003.

1. yazdzik

yazdzik Veteran Member

Dear Friends,
    Out of curiosity, since I never do get the labels quite right, why do people consider Wm Clinton liberal? I was rather under the impression he was a bigot, racist, power broker, a lover of big business, small business, every kind of business, including monkey business.
    Since when does not opposing abortion, failing to improve the lot of gays in the army, failing to create a national health plan, and creating the hegemony of American multi-national businesses that is now making support among other countries hard to obtain, make a Ken-style liberal?
    He appears more akin politically to Geroge Wallace than Adlai Stevenson to me. Or am I again confused?

All good wishes,
    Yazdzik

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I think it was Clinton's campaignes and promises - which he never let interfere with accepting a good donation and getting reelected.

3. Ugly

Ugly Fish is Brain Food

If one considers the sale of influence for votes, based upon racial or demographic pandering, is by definition racist and/or bigoted then, yes, he is liberal, as the liberal orthodxy is to support affirmative action.

4. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Actually I agree with yazdzik on this one.
    Other than the attempt at national healthcare, he took the middle road and actually moved the party to the right. Many of the right wing issues were taken over by him and adapted to the chagrin of the real liberal left. With his charisma and pandering to every side of an issue he indeed could have been a great president. It was because of this ability of seemingly to connect with two opposite sides of the spectrum and please everyone that provided such a weak foreign policy. It is a good attribute to have for re-election but a disadvantage in foreign affairs. His main downfall was and continues to be the focus of his power on himself rather than ideology or his party.

5. mikeky

mikeky Member

I find myself also confused about the proper application of these labels, especially in my recent enlightment that Reagan was a <a href="http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2001/0301.green.html">liberal</a>. Who knew, and why didn't they tell me sooner?

6. Ugly

Ugly Fish is Brain Food

Ah yes!
    That powerful question in politics, What did he/she know and when did he/she know it?