1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civil liberties: American freedom on the line

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Allene, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Allene

Allene Registered User

Another one from The Guardian. They've also got a front-page article on Prism.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentis...ork front - special trail:Position1:sublinks&

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting.

ethics likes this.
  4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

And this is when I smack you with the newspaper and hint that there's a hidden feature built into the software.

ethics likes this.
  5. David M

David M Full Member

The trouble with this debate is that, whatever the rights or wrongs of the issue, when someone inevitably gets round to using WMDs on American soil, it's all going to look rather pointless.

6. David M

David M Full Member

7. ethics

That's coming regardless. Not a question of if but when.

8. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

It makes you stop and wonder if DHS is buying up ammo because they know that if this keeps up, someone will try something.

9. ethics

10. Biker

Damned straight Skippy! What do you think would happen to a company that fessed up to providing all your email and chat records to the feds?

Well, then again. With what I'm seeing out there, people just. don't. care.

11. Kluge

Kluge Observing your world for over 50 years

Pardon me and you know I'm not the super-tech here, but doesn't most of the internet traffic run through governmrent sponsored super-servers, and isn't a lot of voice traffic also going through the internet?
    So basically it's like people are driving down 34th street and having a cow because somebody from the government might be watching them as they go by Penn Station, isn't it?

12. Biker

**sigh** ICAAN took over full control from the US government back in 2006. Get with the times.

13. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Plus there is just one little problem with his concept of what the government is in the first place. Kluge thinks if the government built it, we are subjected to whatever the government wants to do while we use it.

Here's the problem with that notion.

The GOVERNMENT SERVES US, The government gets its money from US. ***WE*** say what the government can and cannot do, not vice versa. The road belongs to US. If the government built the internet, SO WHAT?!?!?!?!

MY MONEY BUILT IT, GODDAMMIT!

And with that...

dogslap.gif

14. damonlab

damonlab Veteran Member

The U.S. has already used drones on an American citizen on American soil. None of this surprises me.

15. damonlab

damonlab Veteran Member

Pretty much. In the big COLO rooms, there are racks of government servers sitting side by side to the telco and cableco servers.

16. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Who paid for them?

17. Biker

That's a crock. There's no way the government would allow their own equipment to be collocated with "civilian" equipment unless they had direct and physical control over it. Rule number one in Compusec. Prevent unauthorized "physical" access to your equipment.

18. Biker

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/09/technology-giants-nsa-prism-surveillance

In other words, there's a hardened router installed which only the NSA has access to.

We've been bamboozled, hoodwinked, and outright raped folks. And the Administration is doing it's damnedest to make this go away.

19. Biker

And this is why the government will eventually get away with this. People just don't care.

Just because kids can't think beyond tomorrow, let alone years from now doesn't make their habits and practices correct. And just because YOU prefer to throw your life out there for everyone to see doesn't mean everyone does.

20. Allene

Allene Registered User

I sincerely hope the Administration loses this battle. This is a shameful way to treat their own countrymen. We have one of the crummiest governments ever in our history. It's turning the country into nothing but a banana republic. There doesn't seem to be a shred of integrity or class left. I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fed up!