1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

City of Steam

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by SixofNine, Apr 25, 2013.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

OK, here's another MMORPG to put on the to-be-checked-out list. They just finished a closed beta and I think are going through a series of beta tests right now. Oh, and it's browser-based, using the Unity engine. It requires the Unity webplayer plugin (which apparently most browsers already have installed). There are minimum specs but they are quite low.

!

2. SixofNine

I was completely ignorant of Unity until I found out about City of Steam. It includes an IDE and supports a few languages. There's a free version and an expensive pro version.

http://unity3d.com/unity/

unity_interface.jpg

3. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

o_O

Its like the Thief series hit MMO status. Holy.....crap......

Who doesnt like something based on steampunk!

4. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Alpha Test playthrough...

5. SixofNine

6. SixofNine

Just received an email this morning. The beta is now open -- no access key required. Just have a City of Steam account and log in at 10 PM EDT on May 6th.

7. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I may sign up and see how this works under Linux.

8. Biker

Rumor has it that Chrome will run this under Linux. Just tried to build a slack package and ran into some issues. Going to talk to the devs and see what's causing the error and give it another shot.

As for Unity under Firefox or other Linux browsers, apparently it's not gonna happen. Typical.

9. SixofNine

It's working well on Chrome under Windoze.

10. Biker

Interesting. Played for a few minutes in Winderz. Takes a little getting used to with using the mouse AND keyboard to run. I'll play a little more with it when I have some extra time.