1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrome and IE

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Biker, Feb 12, 2010.

1. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Well, Chrome appears to be working now. I have made ZERO changes to my machine. So who knows why it's working now.

One oddity: I still can't see some posts for some reason, but other than that, she's rollin' through GA just fine right now.

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Ethics did some testing last night, and I did some more digging this morning, and there IS an issue with DNS prefetch on Chrome. Disable DNS prefetch and things should be fine.

3. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

No luck. Disabling DNS Prefetch didn't help. :shake:

4. Biker

The next time this happens (anyone using Chrome), please type the following at the command prompt: ipconfig /flushdns

Report back here with the results. Thanks.

5. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I will try the DNS flush after this post....but my weirdness continues.

In my previous post I stated that Chrome appeared to be working (with the exception of missing posts content). Well, I need to expand on that. It is/was working from home, but not here at work. I still have the same problem here at the office, with or without DNS prefetch on. At home, where it appears to be working now, I have DNS prefetch enabled. I tried it both (at home) with it enabled and disabled and it didn't make a difference. No crashes, just missing post content.

Off to try the DNS flush. Will post back when I can get in.

6. mikeky

mikeky Member

I've used it since this morning, at it's working fine with DNS-prefetch turned off.

7. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Nada. Couldn't get back in until now. Prefetch off.

8. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Flushed DNS and no luck again. Given that the problem is intermittent it will take a day or two to give any accurate feedback. Chrome will work one minute and not the next.

I'll let you know how it goes.

9. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

That's exactly what I am seeing. I'll see if my home Chrome is still working tonight.

10. Biker

OK Guys. I'm dragging the Chrome devs into this fiasco and we'll see if we can get to the bottom of this.

11. Biker

12. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Good stuff. Thanks.

13. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Good stuff indeed. Thank you, Tom. I'll put together some detailed info and add it to the thread you linked.

One thing to add here: I attempted using Chrome from home last night and it locked me out for the rest of the evening. I was going on 4 hours and was still not able to get in. I even disabled DNS prefetch prior to connecting, but I think we've already determined that is not the cause?

One question though: is the "firewall with a restrictive configuration" that he mentions on the site's server side or my LAN?

14. Biker

In the case that I mentioned in the thread, that was the server for Global Affairs. However, I suspect that something on your end is most likely the culprit in the majority of cases.

15. Biker

Just for grins and giggles, I've turned something off on the server. I just want to make sure that it's not the culprit. Test away guys.

16. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Perhaps. But as I have stated previously, GA is the only site on which I have this problem.

17. Biker

Do me a favor.. Add www.vbulletin.com/forum/ to your list of sites to surf on and see if you see the same behavior there. It's also a vB4 site. Just playing a hunch.

18. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

So far so good. I'll keep browsing it throughout the day and report back. My username and password were still active. ;)

19. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

4 1/2 hour update: Chrome still working fine over at VBulletin forums. But not at GA.

I saw your thread over there. I can't do it here at the office, but when I get home I will give the IP renew/release a try as well as changing up my DNS nemservers.

20. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

I haven't had a problem since Friday morning and it's Saturday morning now. Haven't run this long without a jam up since the problem first arose.