1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrome and IE

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Biker, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Guys, for those of you that were having issues, I need to know a few things. I found out that Chrome uses the exact same proxy settings that IE uses.

List the following please:

Version of Chrome
    Firewall Software
    Anti-Virus Software
    Any other malware detection software
    Version of Windows
    Router make and model, please include the firmware version
    Wireless or hardwired
    If wireless, wireless card model and driver (include driver version)
    If hardwired, NIC model and driver (include driver version)

When you get the error, click on "More Information" and post the entire contents of the error message.

2. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Chrome - 5.0.317.2
    No firewall
    Anti Virus - McAfee Internet Security 10
    No other malware detection running full time
    Win 7 Home Premium
    Router - Thompson TG585 v7. Firmware 7.4.4.7
    Hardwired
    NIC - Integrated Gigabit Ethernet

I'll post error messages when I get one. Using Opera to post this.

3. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Chrome - 5.0.322.2 dev
    No firewall software
    AVG 9.0.733
    No other malware detection software running full time
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Linksys WRT54GL - Tomato Firmware 1.27
    Hardwired
    On-board LAN (Abit KN8 Ultra)

I'll edit later with the error message.....it will be approx an hour from now.

4. mikeky

mikeky Member

Chrome 4.0.249.89 (38071)
    McAfee Security Center (Firewall and Antivirus)
    No other security
    Vista 64 or Vista 32
    Linksys WRT350N with Firmware Version: v1.03.2
    One machine hardwired via switch to router, one machine via wireless

Edit: what's strange also is how intermittent it is. Chrome would not work a while ago, but now works fine. And when it does quit working, I can release the current IP address from the service provider in the router and get a new one and then it works again (or at least IE does). Maybe the intermittent part is related to the load on the server, since Chrome seems to work later in the night but not earlier when the server is being hit more?

5. damonlab

damonlab Veteran Member

I don't use Chrome. Only use IE for Microsoft Updates. As far as I'm concerned, nothing beats FireFox with AdBlockPlus.

6. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Intermittent alright. Chrome is working perfectly now.

7. Biker

**sigh** And where's the error message that's displayed when you click "More Information". That is going to be critical in getting this thing solved. I suspect it's a bug within Chrome, however, I need to pinpoint it down to a specific issue that I suspect is happening.

Guys.. When I ask for specific information, I really do need everything that I request. Otherwise I'm going to tell you tough cookies, don't use Chrome, and press on to the next thing on my list.

8. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Tom, I don't see an option for "more information" anywhere on the error page. My error message looks identical to mikeky's.

Also, if it is a bug within Chrome...which I suspect it is too....I only have this problem with GA. Is it the redirect that's causing it? The way Chrome handles the redirect?

9. Biker

Ugh... It may be that you need to use the developer version in order to get the specific errors and what's causing it. Is there an option to turn on something within your dev version? I'm not downloading it for the reasons you'll see in a bit.

Something I tripped across in the Chromium bug list dealing with proxy settings and users desire to have the opportunity to set multiple profiles (like Fire Fox and Mozilla allow you to do).

Excuse me? Proxy and SSL should be global on any given machine? What a load of bullshit. This is why they want us to use cloud computing. Screw that. One of the reasons I use a PC is to have MULTIPLE settings depending on what I'm working on. This goes right back to my comments regarding the "brains" at Google. They may be smart, but they have absolutely no fucking street (to read Real World Experience) smarts.

It's this type of attitude that, in my opinion, will keep Chrome as another "option" and not a mainstream browser. It's STILL buggy (there are over 11,000 bugs listed right now, although a few are most likely duplicates), and honestly I really don't consider it any better at all. It's not faster than any of the other browsers other than it handles java script a little faster.

As for the issue that you're experiencing, I believe it's related to the stack and how Chrome handles it. And since the brilliant morons at Google have decided to make Chrome use the IE settings, it borks IE up when it takes a crap dealing with the stack on the machine. There were a couple of bugs reported dealing with the stack and they supposedly fixed it. I don't think they did. And it doesn't happen on all sites either, just like you're experiencing.

So at this point, I AM going to say it. Don't use Chrome here. It's buggy, the under the hood design sucks, and I've already yanked it off my machine.

Want an interesting read for a few hours? Go here: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/i...+Summary+Modified+Owner+Mstone+OS&cells=tiles

10. Biker

I just had a thought, and this will nail the issue down if it works.

If Chrome barfs all over itself again, try to reset the TCP IP stack in windows to see if the issue clears up.

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.log

Then restart the machine.

Remember, in Windows 7, in order to run this at the command prompt, you'll have to right click on the command prompt command and select "Run as Administrator".

11. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Gave it a try; no dice. After reboot, I had to completely re-configure my LAN settings. Even after doing all that, still couldn't connect to GA until now.

I do appreciate your efforts on looking into this, but I guess for now I won't be using Chrome when visiting GA.

12. Biker

Reconfigure how? What exactly was borked?

13. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

My LAN seetings were completely gone after the stack reset. No IP address, so subnet mask, not gateway, no nothin'. And it wouldn't pull it's own via DHCP. I had to eventually allow Windows to do a self diagnosis and repair because I couldn't figure it out. I wish I could be of more help, but I don't understand it enough to give you any more info.

14. Biker

Post the contents of the resetlog file please.

15. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Hmmm...can't find it. It's not at C:\
    Tried searching for it too and couldn't find it.

I did find this though.
    and this

16. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

All Chrome tells me is this silly "Oops. This link appears to be broken." There may be more info somewhere but not on the error page they throw up.

All that Opera tells me, if that is relevant, is "Could not connect to remote server".

Both were jamming up first thing this morning. An hour later both are working. Sorry not to be of more help.

Don't bust your boiler on this Tom. I'll use Opera or FF for the time being. Thanks for your efforts.

17. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

To add to the weirdness, ever since performing the TCP IP stack reset, my iPhone will no longer hold it's wifi connection to my home network. It holds the connection fine everywhere, except my home network now. I have never had a problem with this and it's the only change I've made recently.

18. Biker

Reseting the TCP/IP stack on one machine should not have affected the router in any way. Have you reset the router?

19. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Oh yeah. I've reset everything...twice. And I completely understand that the TCP IP reset would have had no impact on my router. That's what is so bizarre about all of this. It just keeps getting weirder. :huh:

20. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

I don't know if you have made any changes Biker but the site is running great today after not working for me at all (other than on my phone) for the past week.