1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

China Tries US Man in Rape/Smuggling

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sierra Mike, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

2. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

I'm not sure I see the connection between rape and smuggling people out of the country. Perhaps the rape change was merely concocted to eliminate the sympathetic outcry this man would normally recieve?

3. Sierra Mike

Can't say for sure--not enough info. But it wouldn't surprise me. In China, charges can be levelled at the whim of the People's Courts, and there have been more than a few times when the Ministry of Public Security has produced sudden "files" that detail the accused's crimes.

One of the things I truly dislike about China is their ability to incarcerate anyone without any sort of process or even legitimate legislation. This has been harped on before by every NGO under the sun; obviously, the jailing of "dissidents" continues to be the case. I know many pro-PRC nutjobs who tell me this is all nonsense, just American propaganda made up to keep China down.

But if so...why is it every time I ask my mainland friends about the Ministry for Public Security--really, just the PRC version of the FBI--they get all squirmy and essentially refuse to speak of it?

SM

4. Sierra Mike

Aha...here's a little something more. Apparently this Choi fellow is a reverend. Another thing the PRC hates...Christianty, because it preaches that "all men are equal," whereas in China, they are anything but.

Defectors and Protectors

I'm not one to stump for any religious organization, but at least some of what they say here has got to be true.

SM