1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

China - People's Daily - Why Everyone Dislikes the US

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Advocat, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

Wow! Here's a fascinating exercise in biased journalism from China's leading newspaper; we hear about it, but don't often get to see something so blatant. Interestingly enough, they use US authors and research on how the world views America as source material... plus the occasional healthy dose of spin! ;)
    "US Image is Worsening Worldwide"
    http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200212/29/eng20021229_109261.shtml

2. jamming

jamming Banned

Wow, just like Amercian Journalists, take only the facts which make your case. This guy probably learned his journalism in American Universties. We need more journalists like Mr. Siegel that can present more than one side of any situation, then clown like this one who works for the peopledailycrap.cn

3. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Thanks for posting the article. It isn't often we get to see what the other side is saying. That is, of course, one of the things we can do here in the US unlike China.

I have to wonder at the not so subtle message the Chinese government is sending. We all know this article was approved for publication and is exactly what the government wants printed. This is a second important difference between our government and their way of life.

The strange part for me was that I agreed with some of what was stated. I understand the following quotes are snipped out of context but I will try to keep the quotes integrity as I point these out.

<small>As quoted from the article,</small>
    <i>"Over the past two years, the favorability ratings for the United States among the people in 20 out of 27 countries have fallen, according to the result of a survey conducted by the US-based Pew Research Center for the People & the Press between July and October. The problem has drawn attention from US policy-makers. US defense officials recently revealed that the Pentagon was discussing whether an "image project" should be kicked off in certain nations to reverse the negative view on the country."</i>

You will note the same study and recommendations in this thread.

"A professor with Columbia University once told the reporter that the Americans always think themselves as the world "No.1", and "No.1" is meant by saying "Yes" or "No", so they care nothing about what others may think or feel."

We act like the USA is #1 - Imagine them printing a slanted view like that!

<i>"According to the result of a survey conducted by National Geographic Society, only 18 percent Americans know the geographic location of Afghanistan, 87 percent Americans aged between 18 and 24 cannot find out Iraq on a world map, and it is most difficult to believe that one-fourth of the Americans do not know where the Pacific Ocean is."</i>

Damn liberals.

My point? When a big portion of the world starts telling us that we have bad breath, maybe we should check. There are a LOT of people who are starting to (or already) hate us. This is not a good place to be but to dismiss these hints as "biased" borders on arrogant and foolhardy.

4. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Thanks very much for posting this Advocat, it's not often I get to start my morning off with a chuckle. I tend to forget how subtley humorous the state sponsored propoganda coming out of some of these countries can be...especailly China.

5. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Oh, Give Me a Break.

Ha-ha...The People's Daily is, I'm afraid, even worse than Xinhua...and both are party papers. I rarely read both, though I know people in China who read them religiously (though perhaps I should say avidly, as China is one of those places which still practices religious persecution).

The party papers are China's way of feeling good about itself. The CCP still use them as tools of indoctrination, by distorting the truth wherever possible, and by lying wherever necessary. Remember, this is the media system which picked up on satirical stories published by The Onion and then refused to recant.

Ken, as usual, you take the context that the US is bad...and perhaps here, you make the insinuation that China is right. That is far, far from the truth, my friend. China is not a very nice place to be...if you're Chinese. If you're American, it's great; but I've never been to a place where there are millions wanting to get out. This is one thing which burns the CCP's collective ass; they try to paint China into virtual worker's paradise or capitalist dream state (depending on the day, of course), yet they fully know and recognize that millions of their citizens want to leave for the United States specifically. That's got to be tough for their little minds to accept. That so many of their people want to leave their blessed lands for the country they themselves hate. The name for the US--mei guo--means "Golden Land" or "Golden Mountain."

Let us not forget that China has a huge load of penis envy. While the US does not often take China to task, the Chinese leadership feels that simply because the US is a much, much stronger nation with many more allies, that it is a threat to China. China feels that merely by existing, the United States is locked in battle to prevent China from rising to its predestined greatness. At the same time, China courts US investment into its country, to gain much-needed yuan in its coffers. In this, China acts with great duplicity; in fact, the happy People's Republic acts exactly like what it accuses America of: China, like a double-faced person, is willful and haughty.

This, along with religious intolerance, ethnic persecution, restricted flow of information, warmongering (Taiwan, anyone? Tibet? Xinjiang?), stunted human rights...these are hardly the affectations of a superpower. There is not a lot of yuan fei in store for the US and China at this present time; it's only for the better that the US will remain the eminent global power for the next four decades or so, relegating China to also-ran status.

And the way I see it, any nation which still has open, untreated sewage systems like they do in Zhuhai City and LanZhou doesn't exactly deserve the status it craves.

China is absolutely biased when it publishes such things as this. They do not reflect the current reality. If they did, then chances are good the CCP wouldn't be blocking Western news sites and search engines.

SM

6. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

It is easy to dismiss the above report as folly.
    Perhaps it is our arrogance that does so.

But I must agree with Ken on this context, America does have image problems abroad. Whether one agrees or not is irrelevent.

7. Sierra Mike

Oh, I don't doubt the US has image problems. But another perspective to take, does the US have image problems because it acts where others will not or cannot, or simply out of envy?

Envy is definitely what drives the PRC in this particular report. In almost every measure I can think of, the PRC is quite wanting when compared to the United States.

I take European criticism much more seriously than China's.

SM

8. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

If there is an image problem, the reason is probably more to do with publications like this that the actual actions of American foreign policy.

We do more good overseas that most countries want to give credit for.

It is penis envy, big time. Steve's absolutely right.

9. -Ken

-Ken Guest

The point I am trying to make is there are a lot of people in lots of places that are starting to believe this stuff. As much as we all might like to think of it as one, this is not just a PR problem. It is an issue that we need to start dealing with NOW, not later.

I also tend to look at the European media for legitimate criticism but I believe we also need to look at countries like China and other countries, which really don't like us.

It costs nothing to look at the criticism and examine ourselves to see if there might be a shred of truth there. The quotes I used
    above referred to topics we have discussed here. Why is it so hard for us to believe people might have legitimate grudges with the US foreign policy? We certainly have plenty of members here who are unhappy with it.

<small> Steve,

I do understand a little bit about China. My mother (a flaming liberal if there ever was one) spent a year as a guest professor at a university in Bejing. During her stay she traveled pretty extensively throughout China. Our family has several friends including a friend of my mother's who family in well up in the government.

I have to agree with you. China is the kind of place that a liberal with concerns about human rights abuses couldn't stop screaming. I am not Pro China but I realize they are a huge trading partner and a force to be dealt with. The population of China dwarfs us and the advances they are making in industrialization is fantastic. Their needs for energy and the amount of pollution they will create as they "mature" will become a problem for all of us.

10. Sierra Mike

China wouldn't know the truth if it was spread-eagle nude on Tianen Men Square and bathed in pulsing red neon light.

The only truth that's recognized by the Chinese government is anything which can be twisted to the CCP's advantage. I would recommend you go there and see it for yourself.

SM

11. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

More to the point, if I see a steaming pile of horse turds, I'm inclined to be satisfied by just looking at it and know it's a steaming pile of horse turds. I have nothing driving me to dive in and sift through it to see if there just might be a pearl in it somewhere.

12. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

oh, pfffft. When the heck was the US loved?
    And which country is it again that doesn't have "image problems"? I forget.

What the heck? You can't please all the people all the time....let them protest and carry placards. Keeps 'em busy.

And...what country is helping another without some sort of agenda? Pooh.

13. Sierra Mike

To Wit: Lies.

Somalia, Bosnia, and Kosovo. Iraqi Kurds. Arguably, nation-building efforts in Afghanistan--it would be cheaper just to continue killing terrorists then to form a centralized government in a perhaps vain attempt to establish a country. What overriding interests did the US have in going to these foreign lands?

None.

Can anyone please name any foreign aid China has given to any nation? Taiwan has administered substantial aid packages to South American countries. Has China? Even in its own interests? Laying fiber optic cable in Afghanistan is the only thing I can think of, and that was a business venture.

Chinese in China were amazed that I knew where Xinjiang is. That I know where Gansu province is. That I know of Shenzhen, Hotot, Xi'an, Guilin. That I know the beaches in Qinghuangdao are not nearly as nice as the ones at Hainan Island. That I know the Han Chinese are persecuting the Uigher.

Conversely, these Chinese do not know where the state of Washington is. They do not know some of the best skiing in the world is in Switzerland. They do not know that it takes over five hours to fly from New York to Los Angeles, or that you could drive south of New York City for eight hours and still not be in Atlanta. This is recursive reasoning used to make the CCP feel more superior. It is also lies and distortion of facts.

Most mainland Chinese are, in fact, horrified that I know more about China than they do. Many are offended by this. Many more want to experience the benefits which afforded me, an outlander, such knowledge.

I'm very sorry to be the one to say this, but most Chinese know less about the world than Americans. Parroting these reports in an attempt to convert them into a "scholarly" case of anti-Americanism is nothing more than sheer sociological masturbation as the CCP pleasures itself with a false sense of supremacy.

SM

14. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Somewhere what I said seems to be getting translated into something completely different.

Please allow me to be more specific.

This is not a contest to see which country is the better. Not even close. I am not saying the Chinese are better or for that matter even accurate, so let's drop that line of discussion.

What I am talking about is the notion that Americans are disliked throughout the world. This isn't something new "Yankee go home" or the later charming picture of the "Ugly American" traveler (which I'm sure we have all run into) but now has become a hatred for what we stand for. We no longer portray ourselves as the righters of wrongs, the sanctuary for the huddled masses or a country that gives a shit about anything other than our own gluttonous consumption.

Now, don't start saying I believe these things! I am trying to bring up the point that far more people in the world than we have American citizens are feeling this way in varying degrees.

I also think it is vain to consider this entirely "penis envy" (apologies to Copzilla). There probably is something to be said for that argument, I admit but the facts remain it must be worse than that. People don't kill thousands of people because of a perceived jealousy. They don't throw away their lives for no reason. They believed the hatred enough to want to carry out these despicable acts. Two of them (McVeigh and Nichols) were even Americans. I hate to say it but it seems we do need to look at these constant warnings. We need to find out if the shit only looks like shit because we don't want to look at it. I don't know how else to say it but if a several hundred million people hate us we might want to see if there is any valid reason rather than shrugging it off.

Sure kiddies, everything's fine, don't worry your government would never do anything wrong to anyone. We're the good guys, remember, you can sleep tight knowing that. That sounds to me like the old ostrich with its head in the sand way of dealing with things to me.

15. Sierra Mike

Of course, if the People's Daily really wanted to lodge a complaint against America's standing in the world, they would pull their US mirror sites. Because in order for any US companies to position mirror sites in the PRC, they must prove that they're not part of the "American hegemony" and submit to monitoring by Chinese authorities.

SM

16. Sierra Mike

And what I'm saying about using anything from the People's Daily as your bully pulpit is that it's unwise and ill-conceived.

SM

17. Sierra Mike

You're pulling this one out of your rectum, Ken. A day or two in Somalia would have changed your mind.

SM

18. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

I'll read it again, but I didn't see that in the article... I understood it to be our perceived "attitude".

And, I don't get it... where did you get this polyanna view of the US? Why are you so disappointed and what is it that you would like for the US to do? Just what IS IT that you would have us do?
    Why do you care so much if they LIKE us, APPROVE of us?
    Personally, I don't care. I do the best that I can in my own personal life and everyone doesn't like me....oh MY GAWD! :)
    I should expect something different on a worldly basis?

19. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

According to the "article" now "Over the past two years, the favorability ratings for the United States among the people in 20 out of 27 countries have fallen,..."

Yep, meanwhile applications for immigration in to the United States in each of the countries is simultaneously up. LOL!

If they don't like it F' em. Why they don't like is irrelevant, especially since in most stated cases its not the real reason anyway.

20. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Steve,

If it is published in a newspaper that a few million people read - <i>even if the publication is considered on the same level as the National Enquirer</i> - it is a viewpoint and needs to be looked at as such. How can you ignore and invalidate something like this is beyond me. How loud does someone have to become to get your attention?

Regarding Somalia - I have no doubt about what youre saying. These are not the people I worry about. I worry about people who have the ability and the means to get at us. The average Somali probably won't ever be able to pull off a 911 or worse. However, an educated, well-financed group could hit us biologically or maybe with a nerve gas or other toxin. This is not even necessarily a government sponsored thing.

It's the civilized (read technically advanced) people I worry about.