1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapest way to shave?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Apr 22, 2012.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Right before I slash my artery...
  2. Arc

Arc Full Member

Here is a picture of the Gillette Sensor and Sensor Excell--both are pretty much the same. The store brands are just as good as the Gillette "brand" and are even cheaper.

3. Greg

Greg Full Member

I've rarely used disposables in the past, usually some sort of emergency backup or something, and I've never seen one good for more than 2-3 shaves, if that. They dull very rapidly compared to the Sensor or Mach 3. Perhaps disposables have improved, I haven't used one in years.

There's no way I would ever use a straight razor. They look so wicked I'd be afraid I'd slash myself badly. However I have a friend who is an extremist-enthusiast and he swears by his straight razor. He's the one got me to try shaving soap.

I recommend anybody who hasn't tried the shaving soap should give it a try. Shaving soap bars seem to last forever. Put the bar (the ones I've seen are round) in a glass or ceramic dish, get your brush really wet and whisk up some lather and shave. Then just put the dish away and it will dry until your next use. As I said it's arguably as good as or better than the can stuff, and I think without a doubt cheaper. Although I don't know, even a shaving can per month (probably way more than I use) at $2/can, doesn't seem like even reducing the cost to zero would save much money. Obviously the blades are the big expense.

How about getting a solar powered electric shaver? ;)
  4. eakes

eakes Registered User

In my experience disposable razors are only good for 2 or 3 shaves, use it and throw it away. I have tried a number of different electric razors over the years and have yet to find one that delivers a satisfactory shave. With an electric I feel like I need a shave immediately after shaving with one.

For various reasons I have occasionally missed one or more days shaving - not pleasant! A day without shaving is not a comfortable day.
  5. Greg

Greg Full Member

For me shaving with an electric razor was like the next day after shaving with a good manual razor and lather.

An electric razor seems to me like a good solution to turn your 3rd or 4th day into your next day without shaving, perhaps worth it for not looking homeless when going to the market. Definitely not good enough to go out on a date or a job interview.
  6. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

When I run out of my current Fusion blade inventory, I'll be giving the Dorco's shot.
  7. ethics

There's many there, which one?
  8. Arc

Arc Full Member

Upper left hand corner one view of one in a pack.

Then below that one are many boxes. Look at the boxes that say Gillette "Sensor" or "Sensor Excel" (Men.) There are pictures of the razor on the front of the box.
  9. ethics

Ok, cool. Gonna give it a try. :)
  10. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Thread necro!

I've taken to shaving my head as well, and got to researching electric razors as well as disposables/cartridges. I had a package of Wilkinson razors and they go tango uniform after 3 or 4 uses. Not to mention, they're a total bitch to clean.

Wasn't willing to drop a couple of hundred bucks on a high end Braun, so pulled the trigger on a DSC run. I figure for essentially 9 bucks a month, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying new blades at the store every few weeks.

If the blades work out better than what I've been using, I'll start exploring a bulk order. But for now, I'll do the DSC subscription just to make sure it's working better than what I've been using.
  11. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Since my retirement I often just shave with an electric if running to the store or even just before going out to dinner. My Panasonic Arc 5 gives me the closest to blade shave. A 2.5 minute shave gives me a very close shave, maybe not quite as close as blade but tough area around chin finally feels shaved.

Note you do not need cleaning station. Razor is wet/dry so can clean with soap from a pump and water.

Now for the head I am not trying for as close a shave so I use this with setting at 1/16. Fast and easy to get all of head.
  12. Arc

Arc Full Member

If one is going to use a blade for both face and head the Dollar Shave Club is top notch way to go:

Dollar Shave Club - The Original Shave Club

Super cheap, very high quality blades shipped promptly with great flexibility in choice of both the types of blades and razors as well as the frequency of shipping. You can also stop and restart shipping with ease. I've never spoken with anyone that used them that didn't have high praise for their service, price, and quality.

For my skin situation I shave my head and beard with a Braun 3Series 340S-4 Wet & Dry Shaver. It costs about $50 bucks. I just dry shave with it. Ive used it for a little over a year and am happy with it. It doesn't shave as close as a blade but it's convenient and although it doesn't shave as close as a blade a person looking at your head isn't in most cases isn't going to cosmetically notice the difference between the electric and blade.

13. Allene

Allene Registered User

I did that once. It put a huge strain on our relationship! :(

ethics likes this.
  14. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

Complaining about blade life...

Go back to a double-edged safety razor and find a Twinplex stropper. It's a hand-cranked device you put a DE blade in. It has two ovoid stroppers that will strop the two edges on one side, then after they move away, it flips the blade and strops the other side. You can get ones that have leather (a true strop) or a grind wheel.
  15. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I'm not about to turn my morning shave into a drawn out routine. I want to be able to get into the can, do my 3 S's, and get out without spending an inordinate amount of time with some elaborate routine. Some guys may like that. I'm not one of 'em.