1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapest way to shave?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Apr 22, 2012.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Remember Shave special that went viral last week? Here's even a cheaper way http://bit.ly/IaEBMu

If anyone has an even cheaper way, do share.

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Absolute cheapest method? Don't shave. :p

3. ethics

I'd look like Bozo the Clown. It's more than just facial hair for me. :)

4. eakes

eakes Registered User

I use a Gillette Sensor razor as the blades for these last a lot longer than their new versions. I use old fashion shaving soap (williams, on-line $2 a cake, lasts for months) with mug and brush. The shaving soap is much better at providing a smooth shave than any of the 'canned' products. I usually get 6 to 8 months out of a blade - I did use one for a year til it literally fell out of the razor handle. A pack of 10 blades lasts me a long time!

5. ethics

Damn, how is that possible? A disposable would last me about 2-3 weeks before it goes dull.

6. Biker

You aren't supposed to be letting the ol' lady use it on her legs.

Allene and rockotman like this.
  7. ethics

No, seriously, I use it for my head as well so maybe that's the reason...

8. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

If I get a week out of a fusion blade I'm lucky. :(

9. ethics

Yeah, so I don't know how these guys make it last 8 months???

10. eakes

eakes Registered User

The Sensor blades are good for 6 to 8 months. However, I have tried the newer Gillette razors and 3 to 4 weeks is all I can get before they get really uncomfortable. Obviously, longevity of a blade will depend on the person, toughness of the hair and to some degree, surface area shaved, but my point was that the newer razor styles (and newer blades) are not as 'good' as the older ones. The newer blade styles are initially sharper and give a slightly better shave but they go dull faster and thus need to be replaced sooner. A good lesson in planned obsolesence!

11. Arc

Arc Full Member

My results with the sensor blades is similar to eakes. I don't keep close track as I don't usually anymore use a conventional razor to shave. All I can say is that when I did use them daily they lasted ions longer than the newer blades and at a fraction of the price.

Except for "special" occasions I now shave both my head and beard with a standard electric clipper without attachment. I also use it to trim my mustache.

Regarding the beard the electric clippers are fast and totally painless and completely non-irritating. The trick in appearance for me is that my beard is gray, which visually is a very light or neutral color. When you combine that variable with fact that my beard is light in the sense of density the beard barely shows with the closeness of the clipper shave and is not untidy or bad looking for casual social everyday interaction. It actually looks pretty good. Then toss in a full very light brown or dark blond mustache that isn't gray and it distracts from any negativity of appearance of the beard and it works out OK. Some days I just let it grow out for up to three days if I get lazy or go into a don't give damn mood.

12. ethics

So you have those dual blades?

13. rockotman

rockotman Blown on the steel breeze

I found out after several years that this is why my razors were not lasting me very long. Now that I keep a private stash, I can get three or four months out of a disposable. It's amazing how long one can last when using good shaving lotion and thoroughly rinsing the crud (small bits of whiskers) out of the blade after a shave.

14. rockotman

rockotman Blown on the steel breeze

p.s., it may have something to do with the fact that I have light colored hair. I think it is finer and not as difficult to cut as thick, bristly dark hair.

15. Arc

Arc Full Member

Yes, with the Teflon like strip above. (I really don't think that strip does anything for me.)

16. ethics

Don't really care about the strips, to me, the strips are gimmicks added to sell.

17. Greg

Greg Full Member

I've used shaving soap with a brush and found it works well, arguably as good or better than the canned stuff, and cheaper without a doubt. A bit more labor...

Otherwise, using Gillette Mach 3, get several shaves per--until the blades get duller and frugality is exceeded by discomfort. Don't need to shave daily, more depends on social occasion. Nobody at the supermarket cares if I didn't shave today.

18. Arc

Arc Full Member

In eakes post he was talking about the Sensor shaving blade head and I notice in your reply you seem to be confusing the Sensor, which is a cartridge, with disposables. The latter is a whole different world than the Sensor. Another good think is the Sensor being so old you can buy the store brand which lowers the cost even more.

19. Biker

Quitcher belly achin' and get one of these. Should last you for years.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  20. ethics

Ah finally! I was confused as hell! So he is using basically the old Soviet style way of shaving. I'll pass. :)