1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap Ink?

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ShinyTop, Dec 26, 2002.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I could swear I remember hearing about some on line retailer that sells ink cartridges for inkjet printers at a very good discount. Anybody here use a site for inexpensive cartirdges they would care to share with us?

2. IamZed

IamZed ...

You can get cheep refills. Is that what you are looking for?

3. jamming

jamming Banned

Or are you looking for refilled cartridges?

4. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Shiny,

I haven't used this place because we use only manufacturer's replacement cartridges in our printer. Most manufacturers will void your warranty if you use third party or refilled cartridges.

I found this place through TechBargains.com and they have been listed there for several months. I have seen specials where they sell six packs (all color, black or mixed) for $9.95/cartridge! If you think about that, that's pretty close to the price you might pay for one color and one black from the manufacturer.

Hope this is what your looking for.

5. valgore

valgore Veteran Member

6. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I used refill kits and it screwed up my printer. After learning our lesson, we only buy the stuff that was made by our printer company.

7. jamming

jamming Banned

Shiny, I am going to have to agree with Ken and Techie2000, the only reason to start using refills is if you are having trouble finding your actual cartridge. Refill ink generally doesn't spread as well and is generic flow size when some printers require specific sizes. However I have an Old Epson Color 2s in storage that I have trouble finding color refills for. I also found that refills don't last as long as an original cartridge either. Somewhere between a 1/2 and 3/4 of the amount of copies I get from a regular cartridge.

8. ShinyTop

I am really looking for my mother. She is 78 and I have had one hell of a time teaching her cut and paste so I am not planning on teaching her to refill. So I am looking for cheap cartridges.

I seem to remember (memory is the second thing to go and I forget what's first) that there was a class action suit filed against the printer companies who invalidated their warranties based on different cartridges. My mother has a new (3 months) Epson C80 and is about to replace two of the color cartridges for the 2nd time at $30+ each from Office Depot. Got to be a cheaper way.

9. -Ken

-Ken Guest

There is, reread my post!

10. ShinyTop

Thanks -Ken, I am checking that out. Responding to those who wanted to discuss refills. The picture of my mother with the colors of inkjet all over her is amusing, but laughter could have really bad consequences. :)

11. valgore

valgore Veteran Member

I have not noticed any degradation from using refill ink not too any great degree anyway but one other reason to use refills is cost. A color and black cartridge costs me 60 bucks so if i get more than a dozen refills for 25 bucks even if it only lasts half as long...well you do the math.

shiny I didn't know this was for your mother so i would not have recommended a refill kit. they can be quite messy. and you are right about warrenties, they can't void a warrenty for using third party inks.

here is a cartridge from ebay for 12 bucks I think it was. didn't look at it too carefully but I get all this kind of stuff from ebay and have been very happy with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16200&item=2083528967

12. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Valgore,

Let's use the numbers you presented.

If it costs you $25 to get twelve refills and they last only half as long, that is the equivalent of six cartridges. For $60, you can get six brand new (not OEM manufacturer).

This leaves you $35 to pay for the labor of filling those twelve cartridges or a little under $3/per cartridge for your time. Unless you really like refilling the damn things, I can't see much of a saving.

13. ShinyTop

-Ken, most cartridges I am seeing cost around $30. If you are getting $10 cartridges you have solved the problem I was asking about.

14. ShinyTop

I just went to Ken's site and called my mother and shared it with her and she is ordering them at 10 instead of 30. She says thanks to all. She is one of those people who is so appreciative of anything you do for them that you like to do things for them. Thanks everybody for helping.

15. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Too late, glad I could help.