1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chapter 9: Folly of Embrace

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Apr 14, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I wanted to post this since I put this together on my way to work.

I can sum up the chapter as trying to convince the leader of the folly the West has had with the public relations and Islam.

It's not really about the US turning its back on Islam, it's actually quite the opposite. From Napoleon to Clinton, Pipes makes his case about the feeble and misguided strategy, the Western leaders have put forth.

This startegy is basically honoring Islam, denying the ties between terrorism and Islam, proclaiming that not only Americans, French, and English are not the enemy but Islam is a friend that everyone should embrace.

The reason can be summed up in Pipes' five points. Deny Islamic and terror link, make Islam a friend, hope that moderate Muslims will stand up to radicals and problem solves.

Pipes makes one-of many- examples in Napoleon's entry to Alexandria and how he tried to befriend Muslims, assuage their fears. The result, as we have seen in cojolong Muslims who have no wish for Democracy and its freedoms, is a nice back in the face. Egyptians fought Napoleon with fervor, after his speech.