1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carpal; tunnel syndrome

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by Cariad, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Cariad

Cariad cymru am byth

Presenting BYOB

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bNfZGtj_6-0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bNfZGtj_6-0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I haven't beat it on expert yet.

2. Cariad

Cariad cymru am byth

I hope it isn't leon but all the signs point that way - the pins and needles and numbness in the morning are a sure sign, and it's worse at night.

I have a doc's appointment on wednesday

3. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

OMFG that is scary! :holyshit:

4. damonlab

damonlab Veteran Member

The whole concept of pressing a sequence of buttons based on what sequence you were told to press them. Same thing as Dance, Dance Revolution. I thought that game was stupid too.

5. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

To read... "I wasn't good at that either." :lol:

6. Violet1966

Well the sequence you press, makes music come out. They might not be the actual true guitar notes you'd be doing on a real guitar, but you miss a note and you don't hear what was supposed to be played. There's also the use of a whammy bar, and an upward tilt to point to the sky to activate extra points using star power on the wii (or alternate bar to hit below strings to activate star power), and a slide whaa area lower on the neck, for more advanced use on the World Tour guitar. It's pretty hairy for just a game. You should try it one day if you're in a store that has it hooked up Damon. Cool and massively challenging. When the kids got it for Christmas, I thought it wouldn't be that hard. I know how to move my fingers a bit because I've done some guitar lessons on real guitar. Man oh man was I wrong. It's freaking hard. I was in tutorials for a few days to learn the moves they want you to do. The teacher voice cracks me up. He sounds Russian or something and it's pretty cool.

There's even a music creator on the World Tour version where one can create a song to share it with others online. Drums are pretty hard too. LOL

7. Cariad

Cariad cymru am byth

Diagnosis is carpal tunnel. Playing guitar hero wasn't the cause, apparently it takes years to materialize, but obviously the GH has irritated it so I'm still taking it easy. pfft!

Between that and the sciatica, I am not growing old gracefully.

8. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Wow... Sorry to hear that. :(

9. Cariad

Cariad cymru am byth

It's manageable for now, I just need to know my limits. I declined to go to the orthopedic doc since I know what I have to do to stabilize it - not ready for surgery yet.

10. Elspeth

Elspeth Beware the Fire Dragon

If it helps I have had carpal tunnel in both wrists since my jr. year of high school. You will learn your limits but it isn't bad. Tiger Balm helps. And wear your brace if you are having pain. One the biggests things that helped my pain was getting an ergonamic keyboard. I have one at work and home. It keeps the wrists in a better position for typing. You want to keep the wrist flat and not bent in a weird position.

I still game, and work on the computer all day.

The doctors blamed my carpel tunnel on flute playing, but we figure I got it weight lifting.

11. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Braz was being naughty again? :haha:

12. Cariad

Cariad cymru am byth

It's just bloody inconvenient. As long as I don't get the pain at night that I had last week I'll be able to deal with the little twinges during the day. What I do have to stop is leaning on my left elbow; that starts the pins and needles immediately.

13. Elspeth

Elspeth Beware the Fire Dragon

Actually no, he didn't start that until after we got out of high school.

Note we have been together since the end of the 9th grade. It will be 18 years this June.

No I blame it on an evil bastrad of a football coach who taught weight lifting.

14. Violet1966

Sorry to hear the diagnoses is carpal tunnel. :(

That really stinks since you enjoy playing GH a lot. I'm staying on easy here and not even trying medium, so that I don't push myself and get it too possibly, if it had anything to do with it. My wrists get painful if I spend a lot of time on the computer, or sew a lot, as it is. I don't want this game speeding up the degeneration problem.

I just had a shit fit on the hubby. We were doing some gig in career and he decides to go bass on medium. He makes it up to the second gig, where Trapped Under Ice come up. The songs scares me. There I am, on easy, but hitting every note. Get to the solo and we fail. He couldn't do the bass on medium. I wanted to kill him. Then he puts his guitar down and says "I'm done". Ugh. :banghead:

15. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

Yeah, I'd believe it. Game console controllers aggravate that kind of physical injury far more than the ever-so-superior keyboard+mouse configuration. I swear, if I'm going to get carpal tunnel syndrome or any sort of muscle or joint problem in my arms, it'll be from playing Wii games, not from the decade-plus of playing first person shooters on the PC.