1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carpal; tunnel syndrome

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by Cariad, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Cariad

Cariad cymru am byth

Would you believe I've managed to give myself Carpal tunnel syndrome from playing guitar hero too much. I felt it a couple of months ago but did the ignoring thing. Last night after hours of playing with my son and a bunch of other friends I suffered. Normally it's just tingling with pins and needles, but last night was pain. So much so I needed pain killers.

Here I sit this morning typing with a friggin splint on my wrist.

I guess I have to play the drums for a while :shake:

2. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Pain killers only work in the very early stages. If you want to avoid surgery or permanent nerve damage, you need to make some drastic changes to how, and how often, you use your hands.

3. Cariad

Cariad cymru am byth

Yes I think so, a visit to the doctor is in order I think, and of course bestbuy to find games that don't require rapid hand and finger movement :)

4. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

The American Idol game is great fun, and requires only singing (and some dancing and styling, if you really get into it)--no rapid hand or finger movements at all. :)

5. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

What did your doctor recommend?

6. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Oh jeez. :(

Take a break from it. The World Tour guitar has a buttonless area down the neck. I haven't used it yet, but it might be less painful if you're playing guitar on the game.

What stinks is the game is sooooo addicting. A lot of fun, but it does give your hand a workout.

Maybe you just need to take a break from the game for a while, if you're playing it daily? :(

7. Cariad

Cariad cymru am byth

Haven't been to the doctor yet, just immobilized my wrist and took some ibuprofen, it's much better this morning. It's happened before, I just stop playing for a week and when I get back into it I refrain from playing expert.

Yes been playing it daily - but I'm back in school on Monday and back to the grindstone.

8. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Ya know... Ummm. Shaddup Biker!

9. Violet1966

OMFG :noworthy:

Yeah, not playing expert might help. I know I'm still on easy here in career on World Tour, and it hurts when you get the songs with tons of hammer ons and pull offs mixed in on easy, only using 3 fingers on the frets.

How are your eyes? LOL Mine bug out after playing a while, because of the 32 inch sceen and the notes coming on in a short distance. I now see a need for a larger screen tv. LOL ;)

10. Cariad

Cariad cymru am byth

LOL, I play on expert, but last night I was in a match and some kid kepy choosing all the hard friggin songs. Trapped under ice followed by prisoner of society, then scream, aim fire - my fingers were trying to escape my wrist - I should have quit, but I couldn't let some little munchkin beat me.

11. Violet1966

LOL Yeah trapped under ice is really challenging on just easy. Even thinking expert is scary. :holyshit: :noworthy:

You know they're coming out with Guitar Hero Metallica in the spring. I just read it the other night. Can't wait! :)

I actually completed Nugent's Stranglehold guitar easy today with hubby on bass easy, which hurt on easy even. We got finished with the set with two encores added and finally got enough dough to buy the Tool setlist, and our hands and eyes were feeling it so we're saving it till tonight instead.

If you're playing on expert, you need to rest that hand then save expert for special occasions. Very impressive you're doing expert guitar on Guitar Hero. I'm impressed. :noworthy:

12. Cariad

Cariad cymru am byth

I love metallica but I won't buy an all metallica GH - instead I just downloaded the album for GH WT it's awesome, but can't beat any of them on expert.

13. Violet1966

I gotta get my wii rigged to connect online. The Metallica GH isn't going to be 100% Metallica. It's going to have some of their idols hits on there as well. I saw the list and it's a nice compilation. :)

OMFG we just tried the Tool setlist and can't do Schism. Hubby does better than me on the bass but I can't the riff down. So we try it like 5 times and go on to another gig. The one with Mr. Crowley in it, like all Ozzfest. OMFG Scream, aim fire ate me alive and spit me out. We got through it, but I can't imagine it on expert. You rock gurl. :noworthy:

14. damonlab

damonlab Veteran Member

I just can't imagine that any of you consider yourselves 'Guitar Heroes' by pressing little stupid buttons on a little stupid piece of plastic that is shaped like a guitar for a dwarf.

15. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Don't listen to him ladies.. He's just jealous he can't get past the demo stage.

16. Cariad

Cariad cymru am byth

We don't consider ourselves guitar heros, just good at pressing buttons really quickly - I guess you're still playing 'Simon' ? :rofl:

Same with COD WaW when I make general, I know I'm not a real general

Oh and V, wait till you get to byob :)

17. Violet1966

This is a game, but let me tell you, it's not an easy game. There's chords and solos and they move pretty damn fast, combining buttons and having to do finger moves that hurt your hand. Some of the stuff is insanely hard.

We like to play it as a family, just like we enjoy playing Mario Cart. We're not race car drivers, but get to pretend we are on the game. When I played WoW, I was a warlock who cast spells but I can't do that in real life either. ;)

Cariad, what's byob? I haven't seen that yet obviously. :)

18. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

One of the ideas behind Guitar Hero, Damon, is that it gets people off their asses while they're playing games. They move and dance, as opposed to most games you just sit on your ass and get fat. And it's something the whole family can do and understand. And people enjoy the hell out of it - obviously. Why is this "stupid"?

19. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I somehow doubt you have CT. It's probably a sore wrist is all. Check with doc.

20. Violet1966

Yup. It's a lot of fun to be able to play the game with the kids especially. Even 6 year old junior is able to get through a whole song now, and the best part about it is they're hearing songs we grew up on. It's really cool to hear my 6 year old beg to play Band On The Run. Or see your 8 year old daughter bopping while playing guitar to Ted Nugent. :)