1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CARE to Iraq?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jan 17, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

An exclusive prep school for girls in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania has cancelled plans to send <a href="http://edition.cnn.com/2003/EDUCATION/01/14/school.iraq.ap/">care packages to Iraq</a> as part of a Martin Luther King Day exercise.

The event was organized by the American Friends Service Committee, a Quaker organization dedicated to promoting peace.

Parents learned of the project via a letter from the school, and some began a campaign to stop the project. Steve Carter, a local businessman whose daughter attends the school, led the opposition by going on a local radio station to express his outrage.

2. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Wonder what kind of distribution system would be available in Iraq. Does CARE let the government handle it? In that case I would not be surprised to see all of the stuff going to the army and the like rather than needy families.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Good point, Bob.

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

This wasn't CARE, but rather another organization that I'd never heard of before. I suspect you're correct in that the goodies would never make it to those that really need it.

5. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Yeah, I'm afraid. Saddaam seems to be a real control freak, so I do find it hard to believe he would let some oputsiders decide who got what.