1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capital Punishment

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ditch, Nov 16, 2002.

1. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Moderator: This thread was split from, <a href="http://www.globalaffairs.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3820&perpage=15&pagenumber=1">Oh God! --Found out I am a Conservative!"</a>

I wish the Bible Belt Ativists luck. They will need it. I am also against capital punishment. I have posted that view previously at GA but didn't get any response. Musn't be an issue that doesn't stir up any interest Ken. Or maybe everyone here agrees with the anti capital punishment movement?

2. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

No, I do not agree with the anti capital punishment movement... I am for capital punishment...

However, I know that you cannot change my mind, just as I doubt that I can change yours... Therefore a debate on the issue would be pointless...

BDD... :{)

3. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

You are right there Deputy. I think debate though needn't be done with the intention of mind changing. That may be the result in some cases but probably not with this issue. Same with gun control perhaps, Creationism versus Darwinism is another. But that doesn't mean debating the topic isn't a wise thing to do. Certainly not a new one I know and probably one reason it doesn't fly here. Strongly held views are resistant to change but can be interesting to discuss just the same.

4. jamming

jamming Banned

Here is a fact you cannot refute, Capital Punishment diminishes the number of Convicted Murders by one 99.99% of the time.

5. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I am definitely in favor of using capital punishment. Anyone who willingly takes the life of another human being is garbage to me. I don't keep my garbage around for fifty years, so why should we keep murderers around?

6. jamming

jamming Banned

Back to the original message in this thread:

Ken smoke Two Doobies and read Haywire's Post in the morning, you will be back to being a liberal in no time.

Techie2000, do they still call them doobies?

7. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Yes the number of convicted murderers is certainly reduced, no doubt about that. But capital punishment Jim, does NOT reduce the number of crimes committed where the maximum penalty is death.

8. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Because legalised killing is no better or moral than illegal killing. When should killing of another human ever be legal? Never. We used to hang, draw and quarter criminals or burn them at the stake. I'm glad that we have advanced beyond that type of behaviour and I hope one day will advance beyond legalised killing.

9. jamming

jamming Banned

Sorry Ditch but according to this below your assumptions are wrong here, in the USA.

10. pupowski

pupowski Banned

Part of the anti-death penalty debate revolves around the execution of the innocent. Since 1973 over 100 people sentenced to death have been found to be innocent and released. Unfortunately,for others, it was to late. False evidence by police and / or forensic chemists, incompetent lawyers, and errors by witnesses are some of the causes for wrongfull death sentences. If anyone who willingly takes the life of another is garbage to you, why do you support the death penalty, and under what circumstances? All "murders" are not equal, there can be many mitigating factors. I don't oppose capital punishment per se, but I believe the US uses it far too often. China, Iran, Saudi Arabia, and the USA accounted for 90% of all known executions last year. Texas executed more people than the other 49 states combined, and more than all but three countries the last year George Bush was Governor.

http://www.bushkills.com/
    http://web.amnesty.org/rmp/dplibrar...6aab003d14a8/46e4de9db9087e35802568810050f05f!OpenDocument
    http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/innoc.html

11. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Some salient points pup. Perhaps we should be putting people up against the wall for falsifying evidence as well.

12. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Perhaps we do not share the same set of morals. I'm sorry, but murderers are not worthy of existence, in my opinion. I state that as opinion - not as fact. I am not suggesting that we eliminate due process or start buring people at the stake again. Ironically, wasn't it the church that did that? I don't recall our governmnet ever burning people at the stake. How about quartering and torture? Oh yeah, the church again. Damn, and some people want the church back in government? No thanks! :)

13. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I agree. Knowingly tampering with evidence when someone else's life is at stake really is like murder, isn't it?

I do understand pup's point about different degrees of murder. For example, murder done out of passion is not the same as sniping someone at random in a Ponderosa parking lot. People are so quick to point to innocents being sentenced to death, but what about people who are wrongly convicted of other crimes? Just because they sentences aren't as harsh, it's still the same principle. Nobody should be punished for crimes that they did not commit, whether that be arson, theft or murder.

14. jamming

jamming Banned

And of course you trust all those sources. :rolleyes: :angel:

Instead of a more evenhanded quote from the website of an Indiana County Prosecutor. Quoted here:

I guess you would prefer propoganda of the Death Penalty Activist to say, facts? What did it say? Oh yeah, a number created by Anti-Death Advocates, which they seem to prefer to do than actually saving a person. What about the John Wayne Gacey's, Timothy McVeigh's, Ted Bundy's, and Ricky Ray Rector's where there is no question of their guilt?

How about this case:

I am sure the family of the "liquor store clerk" are very touched by superior morality that caused his/her unnecessary death. But what was the protection that an honest working citizen is due by law, not if it inconviences the superior morality of anti-Death Penalty Crowd who is so moral that they falsify data or lie, like you hate George Bush for doing, like when they:

15. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I'm anti-capital punishment also. Death is an easy out. Life in prision means they have to suffer for years and years. Saving innocents, and making us look higher on the moral scale can just be good side effects...:)

16. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

I would be grateful if you send me the source of that research Jim. There is other research supporting the opposite also which I'll see if I can find.

17. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

If you support the death penalty for those whose evidence resulted in an innocent person being executed then why not? Not far removed from murder is it. The intention was there to deceive and they were aware of the ramifications of them giving faslified evidence.

18. jamming

jamming Banned

19. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

The introduction of the church into this debate is a red herring RRedline. Worthy of debate inm another thread but you are the one who bought the subject up. I have not defended the chuch who have at times acted like a bunch of hypocritical mis- fits.

20. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Only because it isn't...
    • Used often enough and in more states... <b>ALL</b> 50 preferably.
    • Done publicly.
    • Done without 5-20 years of bullshit appeals.
    • Used as a punishment for more crimes such as rape and child molestation.
      [/list=a]