1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cancer vaccine...for virgins only

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Robert Harris, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

This is important news for the ladies, a vaccine that prevents cervical cancer. I think it is the first vaccine that can prevent any form of cancer. Unfortunately it is effective only for virgins, but still obviously valuable.

Hope they develop one for prostate cancer soon.

Excerpts:

Cervical cancer vaccine success

A vaccine to protect women from one of the biggest cancer killers could be available within five years.

Early clinical trials of a vaccine for cervical cancer have shown that it is 100% effective. It also protects against genital warts.

The breakthrough could help to save thousands of lives each year.

But Dr Szarewski warned that the vaccine would not help women who have already become sexually active.

"This vaccine would have to be given to teenage or young girls who haven't become sexually active yet.

Full story at:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2495029.stm

2. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Too bad "renewed" virgins couldn't benefit - you know, the ones like me who haven't been active for over five years (but may be again... someday... maybe... if I'm lucky...). :haha:

Seriously though, it sounds like one hell of a breakthrough. I've read that genital warts are damn near rampant amongst the teen and early twenties folk. It's quite scary, especially when you factor in the spread of herpes within the same group.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Wow, great news.

4. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

At least my little sister will be protected - that's enough for me. Hopefully she won't have to go through all the shit I have.

5. Robert Harris

Misu -- and your chikldren (female) will be protected This is of benefit to future generations. (Not just women, either. Men do not get cervical cancer but genital warts can be transmitted from F to M.)

6. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

But you should be immune already, right, Robaire? You're well known as a horny toad, and those already have warts. ;)

SM

7. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

It's a good start.

8. Robert Harris

But just a start. Lots of other cancers need vaccines.

And Steve, genital warts are nothing to joke about, believe me.

9. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I read the same thing. An article I read predicted that 1 in 4 people would have HPV (virus that causes Genital Warts) by the year 2030.

Hopefully, this vaccine would make that prediction incredibly wrong.