1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canadians can't get no respect

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by mike, Dec 6, 2002.

1. mike

mike mesmerized

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

OK, so if the UN rolls over and authorizes strikes, will the Canadians forcibly remove their wayward citizens, or allow them to face potential death?

These people are just idiots.

SM

3. Sierra Mike

But, then and again, they probably caught this and thought it was for real:

4. jamming

jamming Banned

If there are Canadian's volunteering to be human shields to protect Saddam's regime, send them to Hell to experience what all the poor Kurd's felt when he gassed their homes, schools, and mosques. I would happily pull the trigger and this time they would know it was on purpose rather than an accident.

5. mike

mike mesmerized

I like that one, steve.

6. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

It's not just Canadians... it's a "worldwide effort". Here's the homepage of this project:
    http://iraqpeaceteam.org/

Of course, if you're going to stand in the way of falling 1000lb bombs... well, gravity doesn't play favourites.

7. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Damn, that's going to leave a mark.

8. Sierra Mike

Which is why I advocate using the 2,000 pounders--shouldn't leave any evidence at all.

SM

9. Sierra Mike

I'm curious as to what makes a "seasoned nonviolent activist"...beyond having the good luck and common sense to avoid going to places where there's a fight?

If these folks buy into this and actually elect to stick around during an active operation, then I rather imagine there will be fewer seasoned nonviolent activists around. Unless the Beduoin find their remains; then they'll likely be even more seasoned, albeit this time with some rather tasty curry.

SM

10. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

I know we are all making light of this development ,ie the possible or probable war on Iraq.

I am getting concerned though on how the world is turning against us. I can understand the reaction of the Muslim world, but to have most of Europe against us is starting to bother me.
    It seems the longer the wait the worse the anti-war movement is growing.

Even after tomarrow, when the 10,000 page document from Iraq gets delivered, it may be weeks before a decision is made. With the growing movement, the decision to go to war gets less consensus.

Now, I am still firmly convinced that war is necessary but only as a continuing war against terrorism. The war to come in Iraq cannot be seen as an end-all goal of Saddam's removal in it's only respect.

So often with time, we forget the most important aspect of what happened on 9/11. Our country and the citizens of dozens of countries were attacked and war declared on Western Civilization.
    It would be foolish to declare a new crusade on religion, but not foolish to declare a war on the people who attack our way of life.
    We are in a new era where war is not country vs country but ideology against ideology.

It is my fervent hope that weapons of mass destruction are found in Iraq. Hope that proof exists and is presented to the world before the bombs start flying. Such proof NEEDS to exist not to justify our reasons for intervention but to justify to those who choose a blind eye to the horror of possible use of such weapons on an unbelieving world.

Idealistic people like the Canadians mentioned are living in a fairy-tale world. I too believe in brotherhood and peace in our time. But sometimes to achieve that peace one must lead the way however painful it may be. It is not the way I want to do it, but it is the way it has to be.

11. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

<i>Upon reflection, I do not wish to post. Take me back</i>

:rolleyes:

12. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Coriolis

Very elegantly stated and succinct.

But feel free to state your viewpoint.;)
    I know your views on this matter, and though I have right wing leanings, I try not to get stupid. I would love to hear your REAL opinion as I remain open-minded on this issue to some extent.

13. jamming

jamming Banned

Yeah the big bad US picking on poor Iraq, where were the Canadians and others around the world protecting the World Trade Center as Human Shields? Well the Taliban and Iraq wouldn't care if they did, we might but I hope that we send them to their graves where the peaceful babies and children on those Airline Flights, can look down on them and rest in peace. If someone is so morally bankrupt to support the Iraqi Regime willingly or by inaction they deserve not a thought on our part.

14. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

OMG, that pic is hilarious, Steve! I wish I were as clever as some people apparently are.

15. Coriolis

Bruzzes

My comment was not so much to this topic, but to the <i>person</i> who posted they would <i>happily pull the trigger</i> on Canadians this time if they happened to be standing as human shields.

I posted nothing else as I needed to calm myself a bit, to prevent having to go UiF on him.

As far as the topic goes, if four people -- who just <i>happen</i> to be Canadian -- want to use themselves as human shields, more power to them. Foolish, yes. But from time to time we need some foolish people to stick their necks into the line of fire, if for nothing else, to demonstrate that conviction to ones beliefs can have an impact. Will it have an impact? If the big US war machine does roll right over them, then I guess we'll have to see what comes out the other side.

16. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Worth repeating. When will we ever learn that those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it?

Saadam has only gassed his own people so he is not a threat? We should leave him alone until he *directly* attacks us. OBL and his group attacked us on 9/11 so we should just concentrate on them.

Balderdash. Stuff and nonsense. Evil is evil and the rules have changed. Fail to see that and you risk being swallowed by the abyss.

We cannot wait for the incontrovertible proof of a smallpox outbreak, a nerve gas attack, a propane gas container ship blowing up in a harbor (which would have the same blast effect of a small nuclear bomb).

Freedom is not free and requires vigilance, the will to defend it, and if it means being unpopular with some groups or countries then so be it.

It was America that was first attacked and now other countries and their citizens are in harm's way as well.

Time for people to wake up to the new reality.

17. Coriolis

And why do you think this is?

Perhaps it's because history was already forgotton.

Seems to me the memory loss pretty much started during the Reagan administration during/after the Russian-Afghanistan war. And with every other administration since then, especially the Bush and Bush administrations, the memory loss appears to have almost become institutionalized. The only thing not forgotton by Cheney, Rumsfield and crew is their failure to take out Saddam in 1990.

18. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Just so no one misunderstands what my post was saying, the simple version of it's translation was what mikepd so simply stated.

I do tend to ramble on...

edit: Thank you Corialis for stating your view.
    Don't quite know what you were saying...
    All admins since Reagan I think but only Republicans are mentioned. I take it Clinton has been exonerated in your eyes?

19. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

In relationship to 9/11, yes it was.

Now, if we want to discuss underlying cause and effect, I will still maintain that using civilian airliners to attack mainly civilian targets is not the way to make me feel all warm and fuzzy for your cause.

The 'enemy of my enemy is my friend' is certainly a short-sighted and expedient political self-serving policy.

America has never been that good at recognizing the long-term consequences of its actions.

I believe this fits with our societal trend for short-term results and quick fixes rather than long term thinking.

The new reality of post-9/11 requires a fundamental change of thinking both at the public and governmental level. There will be no quick-fix to the problems that face us here or overseas.

Iraq needs to be addressed, the inspectors are on the ground and should be allowed to do their job. Iraq has to submit their report and in a couple of months, should be analyzed.

War should never be the first choice but to dismiss it out of hand is foolish. As for protesters, in a democratic society, that is their right, obtained by men and women who fought and died so that they could exercise that right.

As i said, freedom is never free.

20. Coriolis

Not at all, Bruzzes, I'll toss Clinton into the fold as well, but my bias is clear (not a big fan of the Bush admins) and I make no apologies for it.