1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canada's soldiers come through

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Swamp Fox, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Hey, the Canadians have always been pretty hardcore when it comes to a stand-up. Amazing that the government would try to keep this a secret.

Fearful of prosecution under UN War Crimes tribunals, perhaps? ;)

SM

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

I'm just so darn happy to hear that these guys are getting the recognition they deserve!

And, BTW, Stanley, good to see you around!

Allene

4. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

You have to remember that this was the same government/command that sent Canadian soldiers out to peacekeeping tasks with rifles, but no bullets; soldiers had to get special permission to actually load their weapons. In some cases, they would have had to return to base to get live ammo...

After all, no one was actually going to shoot at a Canadian, were they?:nut:

Shows the mindset of this government, doesn't it?

5. Allene

Allene Registered User

It just blows my mind away! Is this the same government that let in so many questionable people before 9/11? My sister was complaining about that when we were home last summer.

Allene

6. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Great. Maybe we should let them invade Iraq next week.

7. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

It was secret because, supposedly, the Croatians under Tujdman, were supposed to be the Western allies. If it was revealed (and it was by free press and a few books) that the Croats were genetically cleansing Serbs it would have been very bad for the PR war on "good people" vs. "the bad ole Serbs.'

I tip off my hats to these Canadian soldiers, I am honored to be living next to a country that has such brave souls.

BTW, that link above is not too friendly to Mozilla nor Opera. If you want to view it without all of the graphics go here

8. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

It's a situation somewhat akin to the situation in the Mexican Border thread...

According to the Liberal government, Canada has a "shortfall" of about 230,000 people per year... so they bring in that number of immigrants, per year.

Pre-9/11 requirements/restrictions for skilled immigrants were pretty high. But anyone could get on a plane, destroy their identity papers (flushing them out the toilet was a favourite trick) and get off the plane claiming refugee status... and get it. Thus the government was always assured of getting all the bodies they needed for "scutwork" jobs.

The fact that these "immigrants" (and the families they almost always brought over afterwords) were grateful to the government and almost always voted Liberal didn't have anything to do with the government's actions, of course. ;)

Since 9/11, they've instituted more checks and removed <b>some</b> of the weirder holes in immigration policy, but they've stated they're not really going to close the floodgates. They need those votes... oops, I mean, bodies, right? :_

9. Allene

Allene Registered User

Reminds me of growing up in Nova Scotia. We lived out in the country and had a very long driveway; I can remember at least one occasion, after a really bad snowstorm, when a government-owned plow miraculously appeared and cleared our driveway but ignored several others. Of course it had nothing to do with my parents being registered for that particular political party.
    ;)

Allene

10. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

So that's what happened to our draft dodgers from the '60s. :haha:

11. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

Allene,

Thanks for the vote of confidence - nice to know someone likes me around. :)

12. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Who wouldn't? :)

13. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

You weenie...post more often!

SM

14. Robert Harris

I don't think Strawberry lets him have the time for writing anything. He is pretty much tied to her apron strings now. Poor guy.

15. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

I have been very busy with my practise, but, don't worry, guys, I won't let the liberals and Democrats take over this forum.

16. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I too hope you find more time to post as I miss the some of the regulars I noticed when first arriving here.

I also figure eventually I will discover who this *Strawberry* person is if you senior members keep discussing her ;)

17. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

I'm glad you asked. Strawberry is a sweet young thing, with blonde hair, blue eyes, and big busts, who is my girlfriend, but Bob Harris is the jealous type, so he keeps trying to steal her from me, and, when she won't leave me, he drags her screaming and kicking to him.

18. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Why that dastardly Bob.

You send Strawberry right over here with me where she will be safe while you two settle this :)

19. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Unfortunately, most came back home after the war as over. If I remember right, one even ran for President not to long ago.. :)

Thanks for the link about our Canadian brothers-in-arms...It's nice to see that the US is not alone in past missions that are still "non-existent".

20. Robert Harris

Sorry. Steve is next in line. Then Leon.

Despite Stanley's claim that she is his girl friend, she seems to get around quite a bit, staying with him only occasionally -- when she feels sorry for him..