1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canada Cautions Some on U.S. Travel

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Oct 30, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

The Canadian government has issued a travel advisory with a twist: It suggests citizens born in Iraq, Syria and other countries targeted by U.S. anti-terrorism policies consider avoiding travel to the United States.

The advisory issued Monday focuses on a U.S. regulation adopted a year after the Sept. 11 attacks that permits American authorities to closely monitor travelers born in certain countries suspected of terrorism links.

Canada considers the system discriminatory because it targets citizens based on where they were born, said Reynald Doiron, a foreign affairs department spokesman.

``It's against basic principles on both sides of the border,'' Doiron said Wednesday. ``Canadian citizens should be exempted from that measure.''

In Washington, State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said, `` I don't think we find it surprising that Canada has told its citizens about what to expect'' when they cross the border.

Asked if he thought the measures were discriminatory, Boucher said ``Our goal is to make our country safer. That's the same goal the Canadian authorities have. We do have an enormous border.''

He said talks were under way with Canada and a number of other governments concerning how to handle people with two passports, or one passport with a Middle East birthplace listed.

At first, I was like, what the... Then I started really thinking. Canada is doing us, Americans, a favor!

Oh, Full report here.

2. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

The Canadians are--as the saying goes--rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. We'd see how interested they'd be in discriminatory systems if a 767 had brought down their CN Tower. :(

3. jamming

jamming Banned

Canada's National Motto "WHAAAAA!!!"

4. ekimmel

ekimmel Registered User

Maybe our new policy is a message for Canada. It's past time, I think, that they shut down Hezbollah, et al in Canada.

5. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Your right! Less terrorists for us!

6. ethics

There ARE groups in Canada which are more than shady.

I just think that Canada has been so protected from the south that they forgot what an attack is.

7. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Brought to you from the same people that do not require Saudis, (or people masquerading as Saudis) to have a visa to enter their country.

Next stop for some after landing in Canda? One guess!

D'oh!

8. -Ken

-Ken Guest

I can tell you a friend of mine was denied entry into Canada last week.
    Apparently, he is not up to the standards of the Canadian government.

He is a 58 year-old Vet who has a DWI on his record from 8 years ago.
    Other than that, he has a spotless record.

Since DWI is a felony in Canada and my friend is a felon (in the Canadian
    government's eyes) he can not be allowed to enter into Canada.

But wait, for a small fee, much like the Catholic church's annulment,
    he can buy his good name back. That's right, for $178 (Canadian) the
    Canadian government will "purge" his felony record and allow him to
    spend money in Canada, once again.

As a point of interest, he was on his way to his monthly doctor's appointment.

9. jamming

jamming Banned

Lets see if I got this straight:

"Your friend is breaking the law to go to the cheap Canadian Doctor so to get cheaper medicine from pharmacies in Canada and brings the cheaper medicine back across the border. He is now kept from breaking the law about bringing perscription medicine across the border, due to his conviction for DWI?"

10. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Ah no, my friend chooses to receive his medical care in Canada. His
    doctor is very well respected and my friend would rather pay cash than
    drive nearly two hours each way to get the free 'state of the art' medical
    care provided by the Veteran's administration. Imagine!

Contrary to what you may have heard the Canadian medical care is
    excellent (at least around here). The prices are reasonable and I don't
    believe there is any law being violated.

I can also tell you almost everyone who has no insurance around here
    goes to Canada for treatment.

The issue is that my friend is not fit to be let into the country of Canada
    because he is a felon (under Canadian law). However, for the paltry sum
    of $178.00 his unworthiness will be magically expunged and he will enter
    the country as if he was never tarnished!

It is the Canadian equivalent <i>(better and cheaper)</i> of being born again.
    It's a beautiful thing!

11. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

Jeez, it is? That qualifies as a great big WTF. All DWI's are felonies, even the ones that do not involve an accident or personal injury to anyone? Don't our neighbors to the north understand the concept of a misdemeanor? :rolleyes:

12. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Apparently not.

Since we do not view the same offense as a felony, Canadians who
    have a DWI on their record are allowed into our country with no problems.

Sounds fair to me.

13. jamming

jamming Banned

Great, So a bunch of Drunk Driving Canadians are wlecome to kill Americans any time they want. Time to revisit our border procedures.

14. ethics

That's bs, Ken. I didn't know Canada was capable of this type of policy.