1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can We Let GM/FORD FAIL PLEASE!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Nov 7, 2008.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Valid argument.

2. Kluge

Kluge Observing your world for over 50 years

1. Rumor has it, Michelob comes out of the Budweiser vat, but it comes from the top, or at least the middle, not the whole vat i.e. the bottom (aka dregs).
    So how much is almost the same beer worth? I can't recall myself but I thought it was almost the same price.

2. I wonder what effect the 'leasing' craze had on the market? A few years ago they were leasing cars & trucks for low low monthly payments, they would take them back 3 years later if the mileage wasn't too high. So I imagine something like a price war but they spike production by leasing too cheap then 3 years later they were producing like mad and getting near-new vehicles back in droves because gas was $4 a gallon and the writing was on the wall.

3. I have a union job and I've had other union jobs. I've also had non-union jobs. Unions are just one tool to fight against exploitation. I notice that LEO's have quite powerful unions and I don't recall hearing a lot of complaints when the unions defended officers who shot innocent unarmed people. I guess if you build cars you don't deserve as much money and you should stand alone against all hardships, even if you chose your career by heads, cop, tails, autoworker, because once you make the decision you're an entirely different class of human for better or worse.

4. I really bought my present car in a micro-frenzy, I had been spending hundreds of dollars a month on repairs and the old vehicle was coming out of the shop needing more repairs. Maybe they thought I was a customer-for-life, but I jumped ship. I didn't really comparison shop or make an informed decision, it was a knee-jerk reaction and I don't look at other cars enough to know if it mattered. Dunno how many people are like me, but no quality, reputation, ads, or magazine articles influenced my decision. I just wanted a little car that was cheap to buy.

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Having met Chambers several times, I do believe in his business acumen. But going from routers and switches to autos is a bit of a stretch.

I think Jobs is a little too mercurial for something like Detroit. Health issues aside, he's not renowned for his patience.

Still, interesting ideas.

SM

4. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

You are misinformed. LEO's have employee associations, but not unions. They may call them that, but they are not unions.

These associations provide legal counsel for shootings, as police do need legal representation after a job related shooting. They do lobby for civil service, among other things. They take on lawmakers who have really stupid ideas of how police are supposed to work.

Here's the difference between police "unions" and UAW... ready?

1) We cannot strike by law, and we do not strike. Unlike transportation unions, who are not supposed to strike but do anyway, we do not. THANK GOD.

2) Membership is not cumpulsory. We do NOT have to be a part of the "union" (more appropriately called an "association"). If you are not, there are no repercussions.

3) Most small departments DO NOT have their own association; they simply have the option to join a larger one that provides extended insurance, legal counsel, etc. These smaller departments are not hounded by these larger police organizations for more pay or better benefits. If the compensation is not satisfactory for the employee, the employee leaves and gets another police job that pays more. HELLO capitalism. Those agencies have a hard time recruiting, and consequently have to crank up their pay. Such is what occurred with our agency.

DO NOT compare police unions with the tyrannical UAW. That's the biggest crock of shit analogy on the planet.

5. Copzilla

6. Morg

Morg The ultra-moderate

That's '08, Mr Zilla.

7. Copzilla

8. Arc

Arc Full Member

And I'm sure someone will know the answer here as I don't follow the rotorooter bailout stuff much--if GM or any of the bailout folks go BK where does the US Govt stand in the order of the line of "paying off the creditors?"

9. Copzilla

Well, since no banks can take a multi-billion dollar hit, take a wild guess.

10. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

GM seems to be stemming the flow a bit. They've announced they don't need the $2B they asked for a couple of weeks ago.

11. Arc

Arc Full Member

Current creditors are today having nightmares or visions of BK Chapter 11 for GM.