1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Anyone Tell Me...

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Sierra Mike, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

...why anyone should buy something as expensive as this when they can build their own for less than half the cost? Admittedly, I am fond of the case, but...

Alienware Area-51

SM

2. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

A couple of reasons:

1. He/she wants a high performance PC but doesn't know how to put one together.

2. He/she doesn't have the time to go online and order individual parts, wait for shipping, assemble everything, and install OS.

3. He/she has more money then time and $2200 is no big deal.

3. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

You have to see one up close and personal. If you're into custom cars, it's the difference between a production car that's had thousands of dollars poured into it to make it perfect, versus a normal production car.

4. dmdvt

dmdvt Guest

Sounds like too much money to me.

5. Sierra Mike

I have seen these, actually. Slick machines, but I could spend less on buying a comparable Dell, if I want a production machine.

SM

6. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Very true. Just remember the Dell will come loaded with bloatware and two dozen programs, including MS Works, that you don't want and will never use and will have to spend a couple of hours cleaning off the HDD.

7. Sierra Mike

Nah, I'd reformat and start all over again. I have my own bloatware to put on...no time for anyone else's.

SM

8. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Alienware still isn't over themselves yet. Back in the day, it was a very high end workstation, generally preferred by intense graphics people who couldn't or wouldn't pop for an SGI box. These days, I'm sure who they're pandering to...gamers maybe? At any rate...yep, you can absolutely build it yourself for a lot less.

9. -Ken

-Ken Guest

This is not the same system but it is similar.

I am not suggesting the specifications for the system below are the same.
    However, as a comparison, this should give you a pretty good idea.

10. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Who is that manufacturer, -Ken?

11. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Aww, but alienware has the coolie alien head case sticker. That's gotta be worth something.

12. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

You can build it right from Newegg, with all the listed high end parts (Radeon 9700, 512MB RDR800 etc) and upgraded to a DVD burner for $1656.

13. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

By the way, was I seeing things, or was there a recent Dell or Gateway commercial where if you buy a laptop, you get a free desktop?

14. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Shiny,

That would be your standard off-the-shelf "clone" computer. The Pentium IV 2.8gHz start aroung $600 but to get something close (hard drive and ram) to the Alien people I went to page four or five on Pricewatch.

I can definately agree with COOT and this is just another indication of how cheaply a computer with similar but not exact specifications can be built for.

You will note in the screenshot I posted they use an ASUS motherboard which is one of my favorite manufacturers.

Stevent,

Bay a Lpatop and get a free desktop?
    Really, how do they do that? You figure they are losing money on every customer but making it up on Volume?

Laptops have dropped in price (the LCD screens are much cheaper now) but people still think they are worth money. A two-year-old used notebook sells on the open market for roughly what the least expensive brand new notebook sells for.

You can get a bitchin' notebook from
    Toshiba for $749!
    [​IMG]

And an unbelievable desktop from Dell for $409.

Check it out here.

15. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I could have heard it wrong, but I'm pretty certain that was the deal.

16. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Found it! It's Gateway. Here's the link:

http://www.gateway.com/home/deals/offers/buy1get1.shtml

17. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Actually, that was the point I was trying to make. Bay a laptop for $1,399 and we'll through in a free desktop.

So there is no misunderstand, the computer is full of ex-used car salespeople who heard you could make millions in the computer field.

I am living testimony to the fact you can't make millions in the computer field unless you marry Bill Gates.

Sorry, btdude, it still wouldn't be worth it to me!

18. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

You married Bill Gates?

19. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

EXACTLY right...Alienware machine have become somewhat of a status symbol among the serious gamer crowd.

Great machines but way overpriced. They pay for one thing only...the name.

20. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Yeah Alienware caters to the gamer crowd. However if anyone is wondering they use Chemming/Chieftec/Antec cases which they just have them colored and windowed or whatever. IIRC Chieftec is the production company, Antec is the sales company for the US, and Chemming is the reseller for non-US. All in all they all start out from the same factory. Antec customer support is one of the best customer support places I've ever dealt with. I found an Antec Performance Plus Case on the curb on the way home from school. I did the "dumpster dive" and had my dad take me back with his car. I called up Antec to get the drive rails that were missing, they sent me drive rails, along with a bag with all sorts of screws and stuff.