1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camille Paglia: A Feminist Defense of Masculine Virtues

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Allene, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Allene

Allene Registered User

This is a long but very interesting article from the Wall Street Journal. Once again, I found it at realclearpolitics.com, so it's not behind the usual pay wall.

I actually agree with a good deal of what she says, to the point where it was difficult for me to select an excerpt. What do you guys think of what she has to say?

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303997604579240022857012920

2. David M

David M Full Member

I think Camille Paglia is still a contrarian, and contrarianism only goes so far before one begins to ask if it's all really just a game - I prefer Paglia's original feminist role-model Susan Sontag, whose views, whatever one may think of them, were sincerely held. Paglia's are more akin to carefully-crafted and subjective exercises in hostility.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Allene, isn't this on line with her TIME article I've posted? She is awesome and it's about time someone came out and told it like it is.

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

I have heard of Susan Sontag, but it's been quite some time since I read anything from any of the feminists. Too many are way out there and blaming men for everything.

ethics likes this.
  5. Allene

Allene Registered User

I don't recall that post. You can merge this thread into the earlier one if you wish. I never even heard of her before! She certainly doesn't fit the stereotype of the feminist as victim that I tend to avoid.

6. ethics

7. Allene

Allene Registered User

Uh-oh, and I participated in the discussion! :doh-4: It's not the exact same article though.

8. ethics

No, it's not. But she addresses the same issue.

9. Allene

Allene Registered User

True. My excuse for not remembering the name is the pre-Christmas rush. It's over now, so I can take more time with everything. Well, that and my age! ;)

ethics likes this.