1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cal's new women's pole vault signee

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, May 4, 2007.

1. drntdrtydg

drntdrtydg Registered User

something we agree on....:)
  2. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Normally blue or green eyes catch my attention, but those are some fantasic eyes!
  4. Fiona

Fiona Veteran Member

You dirty old (hard up) men need to get out more... every girl (okay half) at my school looks like that! SOME of them are 18!!! Who wants to come visit me and take a tour... ??

She IS hot... I'm just saying she doesn't look unlike what I see every day.

Who wants to pay me for posting pics of our students? :rofl:
  5. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

You know, that brings up a very good point...and probably a good subject for another topic...but I know there weren't any girls that looke danything like that when I went to high school. Not even close. What happened? Is it the shit we put in the milk and meat? :huh:
  6. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

LOL, I've thought about that a few times over the years man.

And I can't figure it out either. No girls in any of the 3 high schools I went to that looked like that either.
  7. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Heh, today's Washington Post has a front-page story on how the Internet went into overdrive after the publication of one photo of Ms. Stokke.
  8. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Not for nothing but what is she complaining about? As far as I am concerned, you put up a MySpace page, you have no excuse.
    Oh wow! LEERED? Admired, perhaps, and yes admired sexually but LEERED!? Nice choice of words there WP. What are they going by? Ufford's blog? Please.

Oh brother. A bit of over-reaction by dad?

And we were one of them!!! Woot! I am so proud *wipes tear*

My goodness. Violated? I'd like to have my picture plastered all over the net and be "violated" the same way.

Choose not to read it? Worked for me! :)
    Sweety, that shot of you has done more for your pole vaulting career than you can imagine. Embrace it.
  9. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

ZOMG! These people are flat freaking stupid.

This gal could have been an instant Wheaties celebrity if they would embrace the attention, do a kind, sweet, "little-ol-me?" type reaction... This could have been the next Anna Kournikova. Now she will be unmarketable.

Just stupid.
  10. ethics

I know. Sounds like they are a bit too prudish, maybe even overly religious? My daughter ends up looking that good, has a near 4.0 GPA AND is breaking records in ANY sport? Are you kidding me? I am taking it as high as I can--TASTEFULLY.
  11. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Quite an over-reaction I'd say. In 18 months, no one will remember her name. It iwll be intersting to see the family's reaction at that time.
  12. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Pretty silly over-reaction, yes.

But I'll freely admit that "leered" is perfectly accurate, in my case. :)
    (Or perhaps "ogled" would be better!)
  13. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

OK, your reactions to the story matched mine exactly. The only reason I held back is because she's only 18, and i'm willing to give her a pass for feeling "violated" because a few geeks made her goddess appearance their screen backgrounds. Her parents are another story, but dads will be dads.

I'll give her a few years to gain some perspective, but if you want to be a world class athlete, you have to get used to being recognized in coffee shops.

Besides, the photo that started the Internet firestorm appeared to be a posed publicity photo, no?
  14. Copzilla

You know who else blew a similar chance at national stardom? Nancy Kerrigan. When that whole bit went down with her and Tanya Harding, Nancy Kerrigan's public appearances showed that she was quite simply a butthole. It made it impossible to feel sorry for her. Consequently, what could have been an iconic ascension was gone in a flash.

The public is a fickle thing. As fast as they can make you a star, they can take it away. We need our icons these days, and athleticism and physical attractiveness exist for a valid reason. There's nothing wrong with being admired for those things. She could be so much of a sports icon and a role model, a new Mia Hamm, but if she comes off all nasty tempered, the public will reject her.
  15. ethics

Wow, great minds think alike. You know what showed us Nancy's true colors? When she was doing the float in Disney and she had her mic on. "This is so stupid", "This is such an embarrassment", she was heard saying over and over, while smiling and waving.
  16. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Sweet mercy...

17. mikeky

mikeky Member

Damn, must be the weather making me so cranky, pulled to the opposite side. Is it really so hard to see why the attention may be making her so uncomfortable? Only look at the first few comments in this thread. Wouldn't you be pissed if the internet was plastered with comments like that about your daughter (I would), wouldn't you all feel for her lack of privacy?
  18. ethics

In other words, FUCK no.
  19. mikeky

mikeky Member

And if she doesn't aspire to Britney Spears celebrity status, too damn bad?
  20. Copzilla

What you do is embrace the attention, be a role model, get rich beyond your wildest dreams, do cover photos for Sports Illustrated, speak at youth functions for young women athletes, and enjoy your college life... and ask the local police to assist with your security because of all the attention. Better yet, pick out a young stud cop and date him. It will just make the good-girl image even better.

No, I'm not talking about myself, I'm too old and busted, and happily married. I'll just enjoy it by proxy... ;)