1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all xpp tech heads.......

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Violet1966, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Calling all xp tech heads.......

My father in law just called me and asked me to set up his girlfriend's new computer. I'm assuming it's loaded with win xp. I don't have xp yet so I don't know much about it. She will be connecting to the internet with this computer in the near future through a cable isp.

My question is, is there a web site or somethint out there, that will guide me through closing any holes or setting things up for her as a home user? I don't know what the issues are with xp yet, since I haven't had to deal with it yet. Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

Also advice on whether or not to install the windows updates that I will find available, from the windows web site. I know I hear people talking about things here and there, but not having the os myself, I never really could absorb what was being talked about.

2. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Wow, how to answer a question that big in a page or two...

XP isn't all that bad Violet. It has a built-in firewall and several other "features" to "assist" you. We like Zone Alarm and have had good luck with using ZA with XP.

XP also has a feature which allow you to choose the "Classic" Windows look, which might be good for you to setup if you are going to be the one supporting it.

The one thing I can say is, in typical Microsoft fashion, they have moved things from where they used to live to somewhere else. This is what's known as an "improvement". They have lots of improvements in XP with this regard.

Dawn (dmdvt) has been installing all the updates as they have come out and has had no problems (as of yet). We also use BigFix to keep current and have been thrilled with the results.

Don't worry Violet, if you are setting this thing up and it gives you grief, ask about specific problems and we will try to get answers for you. If you know exactly when you are planning to do this, we'll make sure we're around to assist if we can.

3. Violet1966

Thanks. So there is a way to disable the xp firewall in the setup in add/remove then I would guess huh? Cause I'd feel better using Zone alarm on her comp.

I guess this will be a good learning experience. I plan on using big fix on it too since that damned catchup is no longer available. She's not gonna be online when I first go to set her up so I can't access here. I'm going to install pcanywhere on her comp though, so that I can do her maintenance from here at home, when she does get online.

Don't worry, if I have anything I need to ask or any problems, you'll be hearing me scream from here ;) LOL

4. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

To disable the built in firewall in WinXP, go to Network Connections, right-click on the Local Area Network connection, go to Properties and select the Advanced tab. Remove the check mark there to disable the firewall. That firewall is a pain in the ass ... a tech support nightmare.

FWIW ... I love WinXP. I have not had a bit of trouble from it, and being the curious type, I am forever changing things which just invites trouble. That's how I got to be a geek ... I kept breaking PCs and so I had to learn how to fix them.

Here are some useful sites:
    http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/
    http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/

I will be glad to help in any way I can.

Scream when you need to! :)

5. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Windows XP has an excellent help and support center program. It's in the Start menu. Type in your question and it'll give you an answer. Hasn't failed me yet. Most stuff has wizards to easily get everything configured.

6. IamZed

IamZed ...

I have installed it twice and both times the firewall was not on by default.

7. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

One of my favorite sites for tweaking XP is Blkviper

XP has a number of "services" that run in the background by default. Most of which are not needed and do nothing more then create security holes and/or waste resources.

Also, if you are familiar with 2000 or even 98, you will be able to get around XP. Some things are a little different, and there are a few more bells and whistles, but it still functions pretty much the same.

Also, no to state the obvious or anything, but make sure you go to Windows update to check for latest patches. Personally, I always upload any "Critical Updates" that M$ releases, and then select the "recommended updates" based on need.

If you have any questions, please ask. Once you get used to it, it's a pretty damn good OS in my opinion.

8. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

You'll have not problems with the setup and install...Its a breeze...and if you have any problems let me know also. I just sent 2 more client machines out yesterday with it. Christmas gifts for their kids...

9. Violet1966

Thanks everyone for your help. At least now I have some idea what to do first and what to do if I have any problems and am not online over there. Good to know the help in the os is informative.

LOL Demi...that's pretty much how I got to know computers too. Tell ya a funny story, my first home computer, I was cleaning out all these files that I didn't think were needed. Yup you guessed it. Was going through the windows folder and looking for things that were zero byte and looked "funny". (turned out to be .dll files and any windows flag files I saw ROFLMFAO). Well what the heck did I know? LOL Well needless to say my system crashed but good. I didn't know the first thing about how to recover back then. Packed on old bessy in her little box and brought her down to the local computer repair store and paid them 100 bucks to "fix it". I asked what had to be done and it was a simple reinstall of windows but it sounded like more to me back then. LOL Well when I told someone I knew online this, they pointed me to a windows help site and I started to eat up all this stuff and never again had to ever pay or ask anyone to do anything for me and I never did anything that stupid again too ;) LOL

Thanks again everyone :)

10. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

As Gomer would say,"surprise,surprise,surprise..."

The first major surprise is the desktop after the install.
    I was completely lost when I pressed the start button and saw everything

different on the menu. I couldn't find all the familiar buttons. It is really

a mind shocker when you first see it if you are used to the old Classic

window setup.Press the start button and you will see what I mean.

The first thing to do would be to change it to the familiar look you are use

to.

1. Rightclick the start button, choose properties and select classic menu.
    2. On taskbar, choose your options, I have keep taskbar on top, show clock

and group similar buttons.
    3. Next I went to Start/Settings/Control Panel and opened up show all icons or whatever on the left menu. From there I went to the Menu bar and chosed my preference which in my case was Icon. The next stop was clicking on the folder Icon where I chose Windows Classic and the preferences there, View tab, Show hidden files, uncheck the two hide buttons underneath,check show control panel and reset all folders.
    4. My next stop was the System Icon in the Control Panel, where I chosed the Advance tab, adjust for better performance button, and on the advanced tab chosed Programs on the radio buttons. You can also click the change button on the virtual memory paging file and depending on the amount of RAM installed either let Windows do the controlling or in my case made the file static by using 1 1/2 times the amount of RAM installed and making the Minimum and Maximum the same size. I have 384Ram so I rounded out the amount to 1000.

These steps should complete the transition over to the familiar Windows Setting.

Any additional questions (of which there may be plenty) will be gladly answered by the experts here in the techie forum.

Good Luck! and have fun!!!

11. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

bruzzes: You mean you didn't study the screenshots to figure everything out before the release? ;)

12. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

LOL!

No. But I did go back to the beta release time period in the BBR Microsoft Forum to read every thrd on XP from it's beta release until my purchase date. Hours of reading to say the least.

For someone who has never seen XP and only has had Win98 the steps I outlined above will definitly come in handy.

13. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Ken knows a lot more than I about computers but for what it is worth I agree with his assessment of XP. The only thing I would add is that XP is friendlier and easier to work with than 95/98/Me. If you have set up any of these you will have no problem with XP. Also like Ken said you can tell XP to switch to the classic look so you will be able to navigate around the interface.

I've used ALL the versions of Windows and in my experience and my opinion XP although not perfect is clearly the smartest and best OS MS has come with.

Remember, don't do a upgrade install but instead do a clean install.

I can't overstate the value of clean versus upgrade. Just back up your data first.