1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying new operatives.

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by -Ken, Nov 24, 2002.

1. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Here's an interesting article in today's Boston Globe discussing
    attempts by the CIA and FBI to acquire intelligence operatives
    for their networks.

I'm sure we all understand the necessity of developing the best
    intelligence network we can get. However, I found this one quote
    addressing our acceptance in the area interesting.

<small>From the article.</small>
    Not very flattering. I think we need better PR in the region.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I am sort of in the middle on this.

Operatives do use people like condoms but they MUST do that in order to protect their operative asses.

However, I tend to agree that perhaps with the risks we offer for our help, the incentives could be better?

3. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Actually quite flattering as the CIA's mission is intelligence analysis and covert operations in the best interest of the United States. It certainly isn't to be in the PR business.

The "people" that are referred to are no different than law enforcement's street snitches and informants who are treated similarly. In both cases most people go in knowing the rules and what the stakes are.

Also, I can count on one hand the number of people I've meant in my life who are not part of or have never worked with the intelligence community and have a real grasp of what and who the CIA is and does. (Not singling you out Ken, just a general comment.)

In fact as a whole, the general public concept of the CIA and intelligence operations is way off. Most people get their view of the Agency from Hollywood--whether they realize it or not.