1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying firearms — I think we should have a single national policy

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Susan Addams, Feb 27, 2018.

1. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

Military bases ARE gun free zones (non-war zone bases). The regular Troops keep their weapons in the Armory and get them only for mobilizations and training exercises. If you have an off-duty weapon in base housing, weapon and ammunition in separate, locked boxes, weapon at least partially disassembled, etc.

You do have a fair amount of base security, including all access points and a RRT (Rapid Response Team) for "incidents" are on duty.

2. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Unregistered User

That's the multiple shooting I was referring to. The perp was an officer who went berserk. He kept shooting until an MP shot him in the neck and severed his spine. Or at least that's the way I remember it.

I kind of like that the perp has to spend the rest of his life unable to move his limbs. Accidental just punishment. He can spend the rest of his life with very little capacity to enjoy anything. I hope he lives a long time.

3. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  4. Susan Addams

That stuff happening in SA is really crazy. I wish I could convince my sister to get out. She's lived in Zambia and Spain, and I'd be very happy if she went back to Spain. Just an example of what they are doing to whites, a person cannot start a business in RSA unless there is at least 40% black ownership. She wants to start an herbal remedy store. Sis has a degree in whatever you need to be a pharmacist. She was one for a while and didn't like it.

5. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

6. Susan Addams

I can't make my sister move. I've already discussed it with her. You seem to think I have a vote in the matter. She already said she'd never move to America and unlikely to Australia. I've been hoping she'd return to Zambia. I think her retirement in Cape Town is a pipe dream. I'd love it if she went back to Spain. She never told me why she left Spain.

I think this is the beginning of RSA going further worse for whites. They don't want a fair society. They want to punish whites for apartheid. IMO.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  7. Allene

Allene Registered User

Very scary! Hope your sister changes her mind before it is too late.

Susan Addams likes this.
  8. dsl987

dsl987 Member

I visited Australia last year, and thought it would be a great place to move to if I ever needed to relocate.

Allene likes this.
  9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

10. Susan Addams

Did Trump say that? That's what all the stupid liberals say, It's either the violent video games or violent movies.

I don't have to read the article to tell me that. That's just plain stupid blaming young, male violence on video games or movies. I don't have a statistic but I bet over 99% of people who play such games or watch such movies experience nothing beyond a few hours of amusement in a somewhat naughty but harmless entertainment. Throw in hunters and firearms enthusiasts/collectors and I bet it doesn't change the statistic.

It's that same old logic mistake. Every mass murderer owned a firearm, therefore every firearm owner is a potential mass murderer. Or to make it even more absurd, every rapist has a penis, therefore every person with a penis is a potential rapist. When you state the premise that video games cause violence causes violent behavior in proxy logical statements it shows how ridiculous that kind of thinking is.

They use that type of argument to show that drinking mother's milk causes drug addiction, because most drug addicts started out their drug abuse journey using the substance mother's milk.' They' meaning those who think such arguments are ridiculous.

11. Susan Addams

I'll tell ya what to look for in your mass murderers. Prospective murderer tortures small animals and starts fires.

Those are the two top markers of trouble to come.

MemphisMark likes this.
  12. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2015/08/violent-video-games.aspx

Although not a direct link between video games and violence, perhaps a contributor??

BDD

13. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

If memory serves, that so called "study" was debunked many times over.

14. Susan Addams

I don't know what to tell you. I don't believe video games or violent movies has anything to do with it.

Just to put this in persective, Kill Bill is one of my favorite movies. You don't see me going out and killing because I saw a mock violence movie. Most people don't realize that Kill Bill was a comedy, admittedly comedy noir.

15. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

There are numerous studies that link violent video game play to increased aggressive tendencies. It did not say it was a direct link to violent criminal behavior or felonious assaults. Since I only have my experience and first hand knowledge and not an alphabet of degrees following my name to show my intelligence, I will graciously remove myself from this debate and leave it to the experts...

BDD

Arc and Allene like this.
  16. Susan Addams

What do we do about it then BDD? Or do we do nothing? That's a popular option.

17. dsl987

dsl987 Member

I remember reading about this many years ago.

THE SCIENCE OF CREATING KILLERS / Human reluctance to take a life can be reversed through training in the method known as killology

Arc likes this.
  18. Allene

Allene Registered User

That article was an eye opener! I'm no expert, to put it mildly, but it sounds like there is a connection between violent video games and aggressive behavior. I would think certain types of people would be more affected by the games than others. Maybe the presence of latent psycho tendencies is what makes some people more susceptible?

Arc likes this.
  19. Susan Addams

As a BA in Psych I think you are reading too much into the pop press. It's just not that simple. You are mistaking inductive logic for the more reliable deductive logic. It's the same argument that drinking mother's milk causes drug addiction.

20. Arc

Arc Full Member

upload_2018-3-18_17-59-5.png

ethics and MemphisMark like this.