1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Button, Button, who's got the button.

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by -Ken, Dec 25, 2002.

1. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Based on the fact our inspectors haven't found anything in Iraq, maybe it might be a good idea to question where the stuff we "knew about" might have gone.

Could it be our "friends" the Syrians?
    It turns out, it might be depending on who you want to believe.
    For this Merry Christmas special, click here.

2. Leopoldo Niilus

Leopoldo Niilus Registered User

HO! HO! HO!

Der Weinachtsmann

3. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

You would think Sadaam would have learned by now...

Didn't he have most of his planes flown to Iran in the last war?
    Never got them back if I recall...

4. -Ken

-Ken Guest

If there's no danger?

This article took me a little by surprise, not for what it said but by what seems to be between the lines. It seems the Israeli government has decided it is unnecessary to inoculate their citizens against Smallpox. They did inoculate "about 15,000 health and rescue personnel against smallpox in recent weeks" which is certainly prudent.

The country also "has enough smallpox vaccine for the entire population of 6.6 million" which is something the US cannot say.

This quote here struck me particularly strange. "However, after consultations with Israeli and American security officials, the Health Ministry concluded Iraq probably does not have both the smallpox virus and the capability to use it in an attack on Israel, director Boaz Lev said Wednesday."

So, if they probably don't have both, which one do they have? The idea that Iraq might have Smallpox scares me half to death. And if they did have it and we can't find it, where did it go?

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Smallpox vaccine is not thoroughly tested, has tremendous amount of side-effects, and screwed too many up mentally and physically.

If you thought Anthrax vaccine is bad, this one is a kicker.

I can see why the Israeli government wouldn't want to do everyone.

6. -Ken

-Ken Guest

I didn't realize there were so many side effects.
    If I'm not mistaken, I was inoculated with it as a kid in the 1950's and 1960's (as was just about every kid back then).

7. ethics

Different vaccine, different strain, different rule sets on what is acceptable and what is not when it comes to "collatoral damage."

Vaccinations effectively protect against smallpox, but the shots carry serious, sometimes fatal, side effects. Federal officials are weighing the risk of the side effects against the risk of a smallpox attack, trying to decide how many people need to be vaccinated in advance. Vaccination is also effective if delivered within a few days of being exposed to the disease.

--Recovery time. After the vaccination, many people are sick for several days. Those vaccinated also may spread smallpox virus to others -- possibly killing them -- if they do not keep the vaccination site tightly covered. If a large number of hospital workers get vaccinated, will they get time off work? Will large numbers of workers all be off at the same time? Who pays for the lost hours?

--Liability. If someone dies or has a serious illness after getting the vaccine, who is legally liable? The new vaccine that would be used has not been tested in humans, so patients must sign consent forms before they are injected. But those forms may not protect the government from liability. And what liability might an employer or adviser who recommends the vaccine have?

--HIV/AIDS. People who have compromised immune systems, notably people with HIV, should not be vaccinated because they are at high risk for severe side effects. But not everyone who is HIV-positive knows it. Should people be tested for HIV before vaccination? Should it be mandatory?

Quoted from here

8. jamming

jamming Banned

They are saying that we could have up to 3 serious reactions per million vaccinated or about 750 nationwide.

9. ethics

Much more than that and this isn't towards just those that are vaccinated:

Physicians receiving or administering the smallpox vaccine as part of a federal plan to counter bioterrorism should be aware that the recipient of the vaccine isn't the only one at risk for complications.

"There is a significant possibility of person-to-person transmission," noted Scott D. Deitchman, MD, MPH, chair of the AMA's bioterrorism subcommittee and a member of the AMA Council on Scientific Affairs.

The risk is substantial, as the vaccination site will harbor a large amount of live virus capable of replicating, he said. The risk subsides when the site scabs over, two weeks or more after immunization.

The vaccine itself is probably the "least safe human vaccine," said Anthony Fauci, MD, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at a July 25 briefing on smallpox vaccination sponsored by the Alliance for Health Reform.

Complications can result in death for vaccine recipients as well as for those they come into contact with.

Source

10. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

We vaccinated the entire population of school age children when I was growing up. I still do not understand what is so different now. We are not talking theoreticals here. We have decades of data to go on. So I really think the danger must be real. I still wonder why it is up for discussion. We all got the vaccine when we thought it might be spread by natural means. Now that we have mad men capable of spreading this purposefully I think we need to give a blanket pass on lawsuits to catching it from vaccines to all who take part in the process. And no, don't protect the drug companies from mistakes.

Do you people realize that the cost of law suits is one of the first reasons we do not protect our country? How sick is that? The attitude that if something bad happens I should sue somebody could literally condemn millions to death. Maybe we should just inoculate everybody but lawyers.

11. Perry Stroika

Perry Stroika Member

Biggest secret in SU was how abused the vaccines were and the fallout from these.

12. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Perry,

Why, what went on in the SU?
    There is speculation that inoculations were responsible for a number of maladies including austism. None of this have been scientifically proven.

13. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

If you'd like to know just why the risk from the side effects and the estimates of collateral damage from the vaccine are well worth the risk, you can read all about it at The Demon in the Freezer.

14. aedumo

aedumo Veteran Member

Why not use the old vaccine? It worked back then, and the side-effects were nothin to worry about???

15. ethics

Old vaccine doesn't exist. Well, it does, just not enough of it can be made to cover more than 8 million people.