1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Busy Hockey Player

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by SixofNine, Nov 10, 2014.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Hey Blackie, I don't know this guy Roussel -- thug, player, or something in between? He had a bad day at the office -- knocked down the opposing goalie and then sucker punched another player while that player was being held by the linesman (update: he was fined the maximum allowable for the sucker punch).

I looked Roussel up -- 209 penalty minutes last season. Interesting: although he holds Canadian citizenship, he was born and raised in France. He was undrafted and scratched and clawed his way into the NHL, but this wasn't one of his best moments, eh?

2. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I once went to a fight and a hockey game broke out.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Ok, so some background.

Dallas Stars have been shopping all summer, signed some big scorers and they were supposed to come out the gate and bury teams. The opposite happened.

Frustration boiling over is an understatement, Dallas has been a bust thus far.

As far as for thugs in the NHL, that has been slowly tapering off. You have 4 lines of 3 forwards that you rotate throughout the game in bursts. The 4th line is the notorious "checking/thug line" that has been with us since 70's? About 2 years ago, GM's and coaches finally said, hey, that 4th line... what is it good for? They don't score goals? they CAN be used to "check" the top line of the opposing team, but, do we REALLY need the thugs?

This season teams did something historic and they have been dumping guys who solely fight and don't do much of anything else. My team, the NJ Devils have a thug in AHL (minors) and they call him up once in a blue moon. Arizon just released their guy, Mike Rupp was dumped, etc.. Hey, even Philly dumped their idiots (save for Rinaldo).

SO what you see in that video is more of a rarity than what the game has been. Advanced stats and "Moneyball" guys were asking the right questions and they have been answered.

Sorry, long post, but NHL is the ONLY sports I follow. :)

SixofNine likes this.