1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Browsing this Site made easy...

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ethics, Oct 24, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Browsing this Forum made easy...

Gonna at least try to my browsing this forum strategy to help out those that might need it.

So, with this thread and this post, here we go. My example is going to be the CSS style that many of you use, if you want the same tutorial in a different style, let me know.

When you first come to the forum, you have an option of browsing each forum where it indicates where there are new messages since your last visit -- I highlighted that with a light green rectangle. You can also look at the number of new posts and new threads (red highlight).

2. ethics

If you decide to go forum by forum, looking for new posts. Take a look at this screen shot.

3. ethics

Once all of your envelopes are closed, it means you've read through all of the messages in that particular forum. In which you can click "Mark this forum read" link on top right. Jump to another forum with new messages and do the same thing until you've finished reading through new messages.

Keep in mind that during your browsing, other messages may have been added.
    ================

Another way to browse new messages is to click "View New Posts" link at the home page of the forum. What that does is give you a concise list of threads/posts that were posted since your last login.

The same icon information applies (open envelope means unread) but some people have asked to see only NEW posts in threads that they participate ONLY.

Well, there is a way. :)

In the image below, you will see that the post (second one) is by jamming and it has a black dot in the middle of the envelope.

When you are done reading all of the posts in the "View New Posts" search page, you can click "Mark All Forums Read" link as indicated. This will give you a clean slate and you can browse the forum or leave without having to worry that you missed new posts.

Hope this helps in a way. :)

4. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

DEJA VUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!

OH NOOOOOO!!! THE STICKY INVASION HAS BEGUN!!!!!! :eek:
    <tt><small>(Just kiddin', Leon. Thanks for the info! I've always wondered what exactly what all of those things meant!)</small></tt>

5. Ugly

Ugly Fish is Brain Food

There is a problem with stickys ?? - Ugly :huh:

6. ethics

Hehe, Haywire doesn't like them. ;)

7. Ugly

Ugly Fish is Brain Food

I like them even more now, just to see him get going on the subject. he he Ugly :haha:

8. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Christ! Another Liberal conspiracy! :mad:

9. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

Thanks for the advice ethics. I'm still trying to figure out my preferred navigation scheme, and your post was very helpful.

10. ethics

Anytime. :)

I can do this for other styles as well, if anyone wants.

11. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

True to my boring personality, I'm still running "Greyscale". No rush, whenever you get a chance. Many thanks.

12. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

Thanks... using the "mark this forum as read" hint is helping me out.

13. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

Forget that! The "see all new posts" feature is really the best!
    What the heck!?! How come I didn't try all these things before!
    Dummy.

14. ethics

Yep, I think most of the people, including myself, is using this method.

15. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

Yea, I guess I'm pretty boring also.
    I'm still using the "greyscale" (I think) that the site put me in when I signed up.

Is there some advantage to using this CSS? Other than it seems to be the only one being "upgraded".

Just curious.
    Regards,

16. ethics

Over others? No. All styles (at least CSS, Apple, and Greyscale) are upgraded when I make changes.