1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Britain Gets Ready for Iraq

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jan 7, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

[​IMG]

Soldiers at the Army Infantry Training School in Catterick, north Yorkshire, England, train in the snow Tuesday.

Britain ordered a task force of ships and 3,000 Royal Marines to head toward the Persian Gulf and mobilized 1,500 reserve soldiers Tuesday for possible war on Iraq, joining the United States in stepping up military pressure on Saddam Hussein

Full story, here:

2. aedumo

aedumo Veteran Member

somebody should probably inform them that theres no snow in Iraq.

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

My week of Vietnam orientation training at Ft Gordon was in December. The patrolling exercise was held on a day of freezing rain. When we got back to the cars we could not get our keys to work in the frozen doors. There was many a day for the next year I missed that ice.

4. aedumo

aedumo Veteran Member

I believe ya. Heres on for ya, While packing up for Iraq in 90 being a 'cruit, I had asked my seargent if i need to bring my cold weather gear, and Rain gear. His words were "It's the desert, It doesnt get cold and it never rains". It started to rain only minutes after landing in Saudi Arabia. and ended up flooding. Then out in the middle of the desert, i can remember one morning listening to the Super Bowl (Bills and Giants)on my walkman, sitting in my foxhole on the perimeter shivering like a baby it was so cold....I should never had asked that seargent.

5. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

See, now that's where being in aviation counts--we were always paying attention to the weather, and during the 2nd Battalion movement in-country, we made sure they put a bunch of Army Arctics and cold weather gear in the Chinooks. And to leave the chicken a la king MREs back at Campbell.

SM

6. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I'd of settled for MRE's in Nam. The SF and LRP had meals called LURPS that were similar. But for the rest of us we ate a lot of C's.

7. aedumo

aedumo Veteran Member

chicken and rice was my fav.

8. Twingo

Twingo Registered User

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,74834,00.html

This mentions that France is preparing for deployment as well. Nice to see they're not going to try to backstab us and do nothing. Nice to see more countries step up to the plate. Also mentions Austrailia is preparing for deployment. So far we have UK, France, Austrailia and US ... who else might join the party ?? Germany is stood steadfast against it the whole time, not sure who else in Europe might help. Whats the latest word out of Turkey are they playing nice ?

9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Don't forget our big ally to be, Russia. Crappy equipment and perhaps not the best forces out of the world. But, even symbolically, it would be a huge help.

10. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

And Japan--they'll be providing logistics assistance, which is the maximum their constitution will allow.

SM

11. jamming

jamming Banned

Yeah the Aussies, they don't back down if there is a fight. Do you know every Royal Marine UK, is Commando Trained right down to the guys in the Band.