1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought a MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by SixofNine, Jun 3, 2015.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

This was actually a great moment in marriage engineering :D that started with my wife suggesting that I use the $1100 MacBook that she had bought for our daughter, me selflessly suggesting that I use an employee bonus to refurbish the deck ("no, spend that on yourself, get a MacBook"), and Udemy having a $19 sale on its course catalog, including courses on Swift and iPhone/iPad/Apple Watch development. It didn't hurt that my wife jumped on the Udemy sale herself.

The kicker was that she was OK with me cashing out a small, orphaned 401(k) (I'm old enough to avoid the 10% penalty) to take care of some to-dos, which wound up including me ordering a 15-inch MacBook Pro with retina display. We have an employee purchase program, but it's still slightly more than $1100. :) It arrives next week.

Now I have to deliver and take those Udemy courses.

Oh, and I had already used a $250 "applause award" from work plus an employee fitness subsidy to get an Apple watch at basically no cost. The watch is damn fun.

tke711 likes this.
  2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

You can get one on ebay for $900. You can get some fantastic deals on there. And macbook pro is one fine of machinery. It's my main coding platform because of the incredible UI and Linux underneath. :) Bought it years ago and it's chugging along.

Git -> GitHub is a breeze
    Sublime is across all platforms

I don't do Swift but AngularJS these days, so this is working out really nicely.

3. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

And yes, I'll accept as read that I paid way too much for a pricey computer, but I don't care. You're looking at a man who once bought a Mac II and upgraded it to a Mac IIfx (and used it for years until it slowly died).

My splurges are few and far between, said the owner of a 2001 Camry. :)

I'll start out with Xcode as an IDE for the Udemy courses and take it from there.

4. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I still love my 17" Mscbook Pro.

Only regret is I Wish it was a retina.