1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bored with Organic Food?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

No, I don't think it's an embryo...just yolk. Which is still kinda grody.

SM

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I must research this tomorrow. Too sleepy to do it now but you may be right.

Just want to make a note of it lest I make the same mistake again. :)

3. jamming

jamming Banned

Really Really Really bad Cane-Syrup with other seasonings thrown in. Luckily in hind sight, it was a lot better than the local beer, which was homebrewed and gave my driver the craps.

4. ethics

Ahhhh. I hate sugary cane like that. I think I will skip my daily Coke tomorrow. :)

5. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

In the Phillipines it definitely had an embryo in it. Dead and how developed I do not know but definitely an embryo when I encountered it.

6. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Never tried 40 year old coke. But as a kid our family used to have crumbed brains and bacon with vegetables for dinner fairly often. Strange Australian custom maybe. I loved them. Offal such as liver and kidneys are fine also although i haven't eaten them in a long time. The Lebanese restaurants in Sydney serve brains in lemon juice and garlic. Very nice.
    For dessert we used to have......

7. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Could never stomach pigs trotters and always send the tray away when having Yum Cha at the Chinese restaurants. Aussies eat kangaroo, buffalo, emu and New Zealanders eat possum. Not a lot of any of these but they are available.

8. ethics

Cow Tongue is very popular in FSU. Stick garlic cloves in it and then boil it. Some horsredish and you are set!

How does Possum taste, Ditch? And don't tell me like chicken either! ;)

9. jamming

jamming Banned

Emu is tasty we have some farms that raise them and Ostriches. It tastes like a game meat though, very similar. Now I really like Beefalo, which is a cross between a Cow and an American Bison.

We have a gamefish in the estuaries of Florida, called a Snook, it is the worlds best meat to have smoked. I would almost take up fishing again for that. However, there are not as many of them in North Florida.

10. EMIG

EMIG Yup

I spent a month on an estancia one summer when I was a kid. The cooks usually made tortas fritas on rainy days (no work in the fields), but this one particular day they had made empanadas as well. They were so fresh that they were still warm, and I tore into them with gusto. They were damn good eatin', and I was about halfway through my second when a cook came out of the kitchen. "What's in these?", I asked (in Spanish). "Sesos" was her one-word reply.

It gave me pause. But I had enjoyed the first 1 and 1/2 so much that I knew whatever revulsion I was feeling was probably unrelated to what I was eating. So finished the second, and had a third.

11. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

There is very little I haven't eaten and even less I haven't liked. If you want a bad food story I can tell you about my Grandma.

About 20 years ago, she was in the bus station in Phoenix and got a cup of Het Chocolate out of the vending machine. Little cup comes down, then some boiling liquid. You can get Cocoa, coffee, chicken broth. I am sure most people have at least seen them before. Any case, she is drinking the cocoa and there is a chunk of something in it and she thought it was cocoa that hadn't broken up, so she bites it in half and swallows the other half. After taking a couple more drinks she looks in the cup and there is the back half of a 1" cockroach floating in the cup. She threw up, and the bus station people put an out of order sign on the machine. I just wish it would have happened 15 years later when she could have sued Greyhound for millions.;)

wapu

12. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Ick. Probably explains why I've pretty much avoided the Philippines in my travels.

SM

13. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I have a story, not so much about the most disgusting thing, but it is food related.

A few years back, I worked in a store in the mall, and when it was time for dinner break (I worked nights), I went with a friend to Wendy's and got myself a double-stack and fries and soda. Ate the burger, but noticed that it tasted weird, but since it was getting late and I had to go back to work, I ate it quickly and went back.

That night I started having really bad pains. Started off as cramps, thought that maybe I just had to go to the bathroom. Over the course of the night, the pains got worse. I finally fell asleep, only to wake up vomitting all over my bed and bedroom floor. By morning, I was a crumbled up mess on the bathroom floor, and my body wouldn't stop with the vomitting reflex - I started puking up blood, and my grandmother (who was visiting us from NY at the time) got so scared, she called my parents (who were at church or something, don't remember exactly), and they in turn called a friend of mine who lived close by to take me to ER.

In ER, they saw I was in really bad shape - I was yellow from whatever was going in on my liver and kidneys, and I remember I was in much pain, felt REALLY sick, and just could NOT stop the vomitting, no matter what I did - the only thing that helped ease the nausea was sniffing rubbing alcohol, which I did and the nurses tried to take it away from me, saying it was bad for me.

They gave me several shots of something to stop the vomit reflex in my abdomen and put me on an IV. In about 3 hours, I had gone through 3 bags of liquid, I was that dehydrated. The Doctor tending to me had no idea what was wrong with me, and since there was nothing in my stomach they could analyze, decided to stick me in the hospital for observation - I was there for 3 days, until my symptoms dissappears and all tests the dr's administered showed negative for whatever they were testing me. The doc's concluded that I probably had a stomach virus or stomach flu, though they said they'd never had to put someone in the hospital for 3 days for one. I ended up having 7 bags of IV liquid during my 3 day stay at the hospital - and no food or drink. I lost about 10 pounds.

I haven't touched a wendy's double stack burger since - though I do admit, I do occassionaly have the bacon burger with all the veggies - but I don't eat at fast food places as much anymore. In fact, thanks to that incident, I developed a STRONG food aversion to meat, and didn't have meat for over a year - it wasn't until I started becoming anemic (for lack of iron and protein in my diet because I hate soy and wasn't having nearly enough of it or beans) that I had to force myself to eat meat.

Just thinking about it makes me sick... yuck. I haven't been a big red meat eater since, and being from south america, that is a HUGE deal.

14. ethics

EMIG, that's sick but that's gotta be the only way to go around something like that, no?

15. EMIG

EMIG Yup

Well, I wasn't going to boot all over my friend's parents' nice dining room... On a more serious note, it was actually a learning experience for me. I became much less fussy about food, and more willing to try new foods. The results have been good overall. I still don't think I'll be trying monkey brains or rotten duck embryos any time soon, though.

Misu - Sorry you had to go through that. Glad you came through it relatively unscathed. I'm Uruguayan also, and I think I'd turn to dust if I couldn't eat beef.

16. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

It's called Balut, and they're usually buried in straw and turned to allow the embryo to develop, and then buried in the ground for ripening. In the LA area, there's a lot of stores that sell them...in Little Tokyo and Little Saigon. The oriental markets here are cross cultural ;)

17. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Chicken?? Never tried that. They tell me it tastes like possum.;)

18. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Crocodile is another one that I forgot. Yes, Ostrich is popular in South Africa, dried till its like leather and called biltong. Its OK.
    I have tried snook also in SA. Same fish as the one in Florida, I don't know. The waters around Capetown where they catch the snook are very cold, not like Florida I would think.

19. jamming

jamming Banned

Who knows if the Snook is the same or relatives (the Internet may know), but we do have Gator Meat products which I imagine is probably like crocodile. We have a Saltwater Crocodile here in Florida, but it is an endangered species. I have had Emu Jerky, which is a dried meat.

20. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

EMIG - thanks, everyone thought I was crazy for not eating meat. Like I said, it was a hard time, heh

Jamming - I think the gators are actually farm-raised for that purpose. You don't want to eat a gator that's been out eating god knows what in the waters of FLA. iCk.

My dad ate some really weird things during his life - but I have to say, the weirdest thing I think he ever ate was 1 week before his death (and no, it didn't cause his death, my dad apparantly was very sick from a long time before this), he had some venezuelan dish that entails a heaping serving of Yellow rice (rice cooked with Safron), in the shape of a pointy hill, garnished with SCORPION TAILS, protruding from the rice pile.

My dad said he was hesitant about eating it at first, but when he saw everyone else eating the scorpion tails, he figured what the hell - so he dug in, and said it tasted like chicken.

Everything seems to taste like chicken - here's a thought: EAT CHICKEN! heh