1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bored at work? Ikariam.com - a little conquest / diplomacy kind of game.

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by Copzilla, May 17, 2008.

1. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

This is a free online type of diplomacy / conquest game, looks rather amusing.

http://www.ikariam.com

I signed up an account on Beta server today, so far I got my little guys building stuff all over.

2. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

What's your town name?

3. Copzilla

Mirasol, on the island Sneylios[34:90].

4. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Cana, on the island of Hatitia[48:70].

I'm Ravensbeak.

5. Stonehawk

Stonehawk AKA Jerry

Hawk's Nest, on the island of Drycios [36:90]

I am (who else) Stonehawk

6. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Cumberland, on the island of Viafios[21:35].

I'm JMK.

7. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

Epsilon: Atriantium, on the isle of Stredios [27:49]. Advocat, as always ;)

8. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Queeitia[90:58]

Alpha World

Haven

bruzzes

12 hours for Wealth???
    Got pillaged
    Ran out of money and lost my 4 slingers

At least I'm getting a little experience.

9. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Ok. For those of us on Beta World, we need to set up an Alliance so we can start trading with each other. I need marble and crystal in order to advance further. All I have to trade right now is gold and wood. I have a Sulfer pit on my island, but haven't advanced far enough yet to mine whatever can be mined there.

Also, I just stumbled upon a message telling me that I need Ambrosia. Here's where they make their $$ I guess.

10. Domh

Domh Full Member

do we all have to be on the same server to play against/with each other?

11. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Yes, I think we all have to be on the same "world". Aside from Bruz and Advocat, I think we're all on Beta.

12. Copzilla

Jimmy, that ambrosia thing is if you want to use the traders. The traders is a way for you to avoid shipping back and forth, instead you can trade sulpher straight up for crystals, or similar. Yes, that's how they make their money, but it can be done without it.

13. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Ok. I've hit a wall. My net gold is -9 but I've got good population growth. The problem is that I need more resources to continue growing. I can't get those resources without gold. I need marble most of all.

14. Copzilla

Develop seafaring and colonize. It takes time, but it can be done.

15. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Ahhhhhhhhhh. So you colonize on islands that have the resources you need. Brilliant.

16. Copzilla

Yep! And you set up trade alliances, things like that. Also watch the markets. When hot commodities go up, you have to buy in a hurry, so I hope you have a couple of trade ships built already. I already bought a load of marble, so I managed to build a little deeper, upgraded my walls. Already got some espionage coming at me, hehe.

17. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Huh?

18. Domh

Domh Full Member

I cannot colonize because I need marble to build a palace.

Hmmm - advice?

19. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I am in the exact same predicament. Have not yet found a sloution. I have been sending messages to other towns on nearby islands requesting trades. No responses yet. There is also a message board where you can post "needs" and "offers" specific to your world.

20. Copzilla

Okay, I presume you have built a trading post and a trading port, right? Go to your trading post. Set up your trading post as "I am looking for [marble]", hit [Find Bargain]. If anyone is selling marble within your trading area, then they will pop up. Watch that market like a hawk.

Also you can do reverse, hit "I offer [marble]" to see who all in your immediate vicinity is wanting marble and how much they're offering for it.

Down below that, where you can select under Marble, Type of Offer, make it [buy]. Select how much you want to buy, and what price you're offering. It will take your money and put it in reserve, so if anyone wants to take you up on your offer, they simply send the ship to your port with the load, collect the cash and your marble stocks are added. With your excess sulphur, do the same only [sell]. If a buyer sees your sell offer and wants it, they send the ship with the cash, get the load and they're gone.

---

In the event you have not built a trading port and a trading post, you need to do research until you can. Visit the library for details on what all research you need to do to build those facilities. They're real cheap at first. As you expand them, they become significantly more expensive.

---

Now what I did was watch the marble markets and I saw where someone had put 300 marble up for sale at 10 gold each. I snapped them up like a pit bull on a filet mignon. Then I turned around and sold 100 of them at 30 gold each, made all my money back and got 200 marble for nothing.

That's what I mean when I say watch the markets.