1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bombs go off at Boston Marathon

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Copzilla, Apr 15, 2013.

1. David M

David M Full Member

Tsarnaev pleads not guilty on all counts.
  2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

He thinks he is Zimmerman.
  3. Allene

Allene Registered User

It's amazing when everything is blatantly obvious, and the culprit pleads not guilty. That has never made much sense to me. How is he going to explain all that?
  4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

If you are up for a crime with the death penalty you can extend your life for years by going to trial. The SOB Major who killed all those soldiers is just now going to trial after 4 years.
    ethics likes this.
  5. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

That, and it's a way for them to make their "cause" a giant circus. Media will be all over it for a long time.
  6. ethics

In 2011 Murder Inquiry, Hints of Missed Chance to Avert Boston Bombing - NYTimes.com

Excellent read read...

1. The crime was committed on 9.11.11. Makes me strongly believe it was symbolic and not tied to drugs as the Police thought.
    2. They were Jews. At least 2/3 of them were.
    3. Tamarlan didn't attend the funerals, although being a close friend to one of those killed.
    4. Other friends mentioned that they should have looked in to Tamarlan. Usually, friends know best.
    5. No remorse on Tamarlan:

John Allan, the gym’s owner, said that he was struck by Mr. Tsarnaev’s unemotional reaction to Mr. Mess’s murder. In an interview, he recounted a conversation a few days after the killings.

“As I said something, there was kind of a smile on Tamerlan’s face, and he laughed it off,” Mr. Allan recalled. “He laughed off the fact that he was murdered, like: ‘Aw, man. It’s crazy right? Huh huh. It’s crazy right? I guess if you do that, that’s what’s going to happen.' ”

Mr. Allan said there was no hint of grief. “That really shocked me.”
    Mr. Tsarnaev’s wife, Katherine Russell, too, was perplexed by how untroubled her husband seemed about the death of his close friend, according a person with direct knowledge of the situation. She found out about the murders through local news reports, and when she spoke to her husband about the tragedy, he speculated matter-of-factly that they were the result of a drug deal gone awry, the person said.

6. No forced entry.
  7. David M

David M Full Member

This doesn't seem like a good idea for a cover story, "5 revelations" or no. They made him into a rock star.
  8. ethics

Rolling Stone magazine has been the most out of touch publication in the US for years, David. I am not surprised by this but certainly appalled.
  9. ethics

10. Allene

Allene Registered User

I couldn't have said it better! Speaking of Rolling Stone, wasn't it more music oriented in the past? I never bothered reading it, but it used to be on display in a rack in the Fine Arts area of the last library I worked at.
  11. ethics

Used to be. Like the M in MTV used to be for Music, not Muck.
  12. Allene

Allene Registered User

That's what I thought. They have gravitated to the gutter. History repeats itself, but one good thing about it is that the pendulum swings only so far before it moves to the center again, or so I tell myself.
  13. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I haven't looked at Rolling Stone in ages. I subscribed to the print edition in the 1980s, and have some fond memories, including the publication of Bonfire of the Vanities in serial form.

In the past they would have the occasional serious deep investigative piece that at worst was decent journalism. I don't have any clue as to what they have become recently. I like the movie reviews by Peter Travers, and I have heard some good things about Matt Taibbi writing about Wall Street, but I don't have enough first-hand data to agree or disagree.
  14. David M

David M Full Member

15. ethics

16. David M

David M Full Member

Tamerlan Tsarnaev 'had right-wing extremist literature'

One of the brothers suspected of carrying out the Boston bombings was in possession of right-wing American literature in the run-up to the attack, BBC Panorama has learnt.

17. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

So this was the GOP Gone Wild? Oh, snap! What deep, dark secrets will the Beeb unearth next?
  18. ethics

Talk about a stretch. Liberal media would want nothing more than this...

Same article:

The brothers' friends told us Tamerlan turned against the country and became passionate about Islam after becoming frustrated when his boxing career faltered because he did not have American citizenship.
    LOL? Seriously, is Beeb even trying?

"He (Tamerlan) just didn't like America. He felt like America was just basically attacking all Middle Eastern countries…you know trying to take their oil."

Yep, that's how right wingers think alright. LOL!
  19. David M

David M Full Member

Er, no - the report just says that Tamerlan was reading right-wing extremist literature:

The programme discovered that Tamerlan Tsarnaev possessed articles which argued that both 9/11 and the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing were government conspiracies.
    Another in his possession was about "the rape of our gun rights".
    Reading material he had about white supremacy commented that "Hitler had a point".

Nothing there about the GOP.
  20. David M

David M Full Member

Actually, that was one of the assumed motivations that was given wide prominence in both U.S. and international media in the aftermath of Tamerlan's death. See, for example: