1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blix Says No 'Smoking Guns' in Iraq

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Advocat, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Blix also says the sumitted paperwork was inadequate, a big statement considering who it's from.

3. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Quite a remarkable feat that there's a report at all, considering the U.N. has Mr. Magoo in charge of the inspections and analyzing the Iraqi data.

4. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Well then, I suppose Mr. Blix will have some answering to do in the event the Iraqis launch a chemical attack once we (inevitably) engage the Iraqi military.

5. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Saadam is a master at deception. He is playing Blix like a master violinist. Blix will never find anything Saadam does not want him to find. The whole thing is such a farce.

6. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

I'm afraid Bagdad Blix is only a token over there. Everyone knows they wouldn't find much. The only war Saddam has even a remote chance of winning is the PR battle. So he's paying it for all it's worth. Still, he knows we're coming, we know we're going, and the rest of this stuff is like udders on a bull. They may look nice, but they don't mean a hell of a lot. (Gawd, I sound like Perot - someone shoot me.)

7. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Look for a more intensive search as the deadline approaches.
    Using helicopters can help a little, plus the added sites being provided by American and British Intel.

Anything found will be downplayed by the Inspectors until the final report.

Also I expect as the deadline approaches (excuse the poor pun) Saddam will provide some new info and the again claim that is all there is. This may give him added time as half the world will say extension and the other half says no more. With a full debate on this topic, the PR game will continue.

Still, I see no peaceful resolution to this problem, and the US will initiate hostilities in a week or so after the Jan 27th Report.

I like to guess the future and of course this is just my speculation.

8. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Mid-February looks like curtain raising time. I would like to see Saadam get religion but it's not going to happen. My thoughts are with those who have to carry out the plans to resolve this, as well as with their families. This is not, as I have seen it mentioned elsewhere, some spectator event put on for my benefit on CNN. It is deadly serious as those here who have gone through it can attest. May it end quickly, with the minimum loss of life on all sides. The faster peace can be restored and the threat of heinous weapons be removed, the faster these brave men and women can return to their loved ones. That is a spectator event I would gladly watch on CNN.

Mike

9. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Well, well, well. Looks like Blixie has more to say and has just handed the US their reason to invade at will.

10. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I think Blix is actually between a rock and a hard place; he doesn't want to raise the ire of either the US or the UN...and let us not forget he has to go home to the EU eventually, as well. :)

What does bother me is that the other members of the Security Council are suddenly backpedaling from January 27, now stating that it's not a firm date, and at any rate, Blix's findings would still be listed as preliminary.

Curious...how does the UN expect to enforce anything if they don't even set a firm date for the real, honest Come to God meeting?

SM

11. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

12. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Saadam is supposed to have respect for all of this exactly how? The feedback this gives him is that his method of handling the UN works and there is no reason to change. He can string this out until warmer weather and then repeat the process. We can't keep forces out there indefinitely and he knows it.