1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black/White in USA compared to Black/White in RSA

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Susan Addams, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Amazonian woman in a petite package!

You think we have it bad in US, and no doubt Obama stirring the stick has made black/white relations much worse during his term in office. But you should see what is going on in Republic of South Africa.

My sister is Boer, meaning she descended from the Dutch. She has lived a rough, tough life. I won't pretend to know the history, this is not that kind of topic for me. Boer - Wikipedia

I get the idea that things have changed in RSA recently, that the whites had the upper hand, but there was a change, a rebellion? A change in government? I don't know. It's on Wikipedia.

My current bitch about the situation is that blacks are attacking whites, and in most cases no prosecution or retribution. Being white in SA really sucks.

Sis has a degree in Pharmacology but the job pays shit. Right now she is stuck as mom-at-home because her son is only 10 years old, and mischievous at that. Her daughter is 15 and can be trusted to come home and do her homework but her son can't, and daughter is too young to baby sit son, so sis is stuck as a stay-at-home mother.

Keep in mind that sis is incredibly talented. She moved from pharmacist onto the stock trading floor where she met her current husband and they had her son together. (Daughter from previous failed marriage.) For her to sit at home is a crime!

Her life desire is to start an herbal remedy store. Just one thing: In modern RSA there is a law that all business must be at least 40% black owned! The hell?

The store I envision is a one person operation. She's gotta pay some useless black person 40% of her earnings just for the right to run that store?

You think we have it bad? What if we had laws like that? We already ate it with reverse discrimination, but this takes RD to a whole new level.

Sis thinks she has a way to get a silent partner that won't suck 40% of her profits and no working for it.

Now tell me we have it bad in America.

2. Allene

Allene Registered User

I understand about the Boers. Somebody in my little village in Nova Scotia actually fought in the Boer War, the second one to be exact (1899-1902), but on the British Empire side. I came across him while doing genealogical research. Plenty has been written about internal strife in South Africa over the years, so I know it isn't an easy place to live in. I'd be worried too if I had family over there.

3. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Amazonian woman in a petite package!

I'm worried but it's half way round the world so all I can do is be there for sis. And hell no it isn't an easy place to live. Sis got picked on in school all the time. That is part of what makes her so tough. I'm small and sis could beat the shit out of me with one hand. Luckily sis is big. Like 5'-9" and 132#. (I'm a petite.) I'm pretty sure sis packs a mean punch! :)

I'm not even into genealogy. I know sis and I are part Irish, part Scottish, part English (on our mother's side). My dad is of course different from her dad. Hers is from Dutch ancestry. I got zip Dutch in me.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017