1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black vs. White Coaches

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jan 18, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Got this excerpt from the Atlantic:

The lawyer Johnnie Cochran, ever in search of the spotlight and a racial cause to champion, found both this past fall when he and another lawyer, Cyrus Mehri, issued their report on black coaches in the National Football League. Drawing on the assistance of Janice Madden, a labor economist at the University of Pennsylvania, Cochran and Mehri studied whether the under-representation of African-Americans in coaching and the front office (especially relative to their numbers among NFL players) could be explained as the result of poor performance by African-Americans. The answer, perhaps not unexpectedly, was no.

Dr. Madden determined that: the black coaches [over the last fifteen years] averaged 1.1 more wins per [sixteen-game] season than the white coaches; the black coaches led their teams to the playoffs 67% of the time versus 39% of the time for the white coaches; in their first season, black coaches averaged 2.7 more wins than the white coaches in their first season; in their final season, terminated black coaches win an average of 1.3 more games than terminated white coaches.

"Black Coaches in the National Football League: Superior Perform-ance, Inferior Opportunities" (www.findjustice.com/ms/nfl/index text.html)

2. yazdzik

yazdzik Veteran Member

Well, so much for the fourteenth amendment....

3. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

I don't think a black lawyer should be talking statistics to prove a point. It will just open up a can of worms.

4. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I agree with both replies.  I'm certainly not crazy about these politically correct reviews of NFL teams' hiring processes.  However, I might not be the right person to bloviate on this subject because I'm also a bit of a pollyanna.  For example, I have a hard time believing that an NFL owner in this day and time would hire one of the white mediocrities who seem to be in such abundant supply and pass up a proven winner like Art Shell or Tony Dungy. 

The Peter Principle certainly applies in coaching.  Norv Turner was a brilliant offensive coordinator who deserved a shot at the top coaching job and got it.  As a head coach he proved, well, that he's a great offensive coordiantor. :)  That's where he belongs -- keep him there and don't hire him as a head coach over somebody like Marvin Lewis.

Maybe Marvin Lewis will prove that as a head coach he is great defensive coordinator, and maybe he will prove that he's a great head coach.  He certainly deserves the shot and he got it, though I'm going to cut him slack because he wound up with the Bengals. :)

Brian