1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Dog/Cat Bias?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Jun 6, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Never heard of this, I've actually had Rotties all my life and one of my cats was black and I got him for the color.

But apparently people are stupid??

[​IMG]

Story here
    Hear it here.

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Growing up and up until I was stationed in the UK, I was adopted by cats (several of which were black). In other words, the cat showed up, decided they liked it there, and stayed. I've never adopted a cat from a shelter. They always managed to show up at my door. LOL

ethics likes this.
  3. Allene

Allene Registered User

I was in the same situation when I was growing up too. I'd feed stray cats behind my parent's back. They'd stay forever after that.

4. rockotman

rockotman Blown on the steel breeze

We have three cats that let us live here...
    One is all black, another, the black one's sister is tortoise shell, and the other is a gray tabby with red.

I guess they are not discriminatory, either.

ethics likes this.
  5. Greg

Greg Full Member

I'll adopt a cat the day my dog approves it. He hates cats.

6. Allene

Allene Registered User

LOL! I know just what you mean by "let" us live here.

7. Allene

Allene Registered User

He just thinks he hates cats.

8. Greg

Greg Full Member

You just think he just thinks he hates cats. He freaks out when he sees cats. He barks unmercifully at a cat on the wall until the cat goes away, or until I get tired of barking, or until my respect for my neighbors' peace and quiet causes me to haul him indoors.

Same thing with squirrels only worse. Cats often just sit there often doing their cat smile thing, they're smart enough to know that a small dog can't jump a 6 foot wall. Squirrels on the other hand often race back and forth, not quite sure if the dog is a credible threat or not, and my dog chases them in parallel on the ground. Squirrels generally chicken out first and run away. Squirrels aren't as smart as cats.

Anyway if he ever caught a cat the cat would claw and bite him into doll rags. He isn't smart enough to figure that out because he's never dealt with a cat face to face. My vet bill would be staggering. I'm glad cats have the sense to stay on the wall.

He'd never catch a squirrel on the ground anyway. Squirrels known they are seen as food by dogs and cats, and they stay vigilant, and in most cases can out run and out maneuver most dogs and cats. I often thrill to the sight of 2-3 squirrels chasing each other round the walls and up and down the trees. Man they sure go fast!!! :)

9. Allene

Allene Registered User

I'll take your word for it! :) Yes, squirrels are fun to watch. They're so perky!

10. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I had a dog that I'd put on a cable run between two huge trees and the squirrels would harass her mercilessly. Then I put a longer lead line on the cable run. Dog got the last laugh that day. The look on the squirrel's face was priceless, too, right before it met its maker.

11. Greg

Greg Full Member

LMFAO almost too much to type!!! :D

12. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

Most of our cats have been black or black and white. All great friends.

I buy raw peanuts in the shell and feed our local squirrels, chipmunks, and blue jays along with the rest of the birds. Very relaxing to watch.

13. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yes, birds are very entertaining. We have a bunch of feeders and a bunch of birdhouses occupied mostly by western bluebirds and swallows. House finches, sparrows, and goldfinches use the feeders. Juncos have adapted from ground feeding to sitting on the fence and leaning into the feeders, and red-wing blackbirds will twist themselves into weird positions to get at those feeders. We don't have blue jays here, but they were plentiful in Cape Breton when I was growing up.

14. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

These are actually Stellar's Jay.

They are a bit different than the Jays that I grew up with in the Midwest, however they act about the same. Loud and obnoxious.

15. Allene

Allene Registered User

Oh yes, I saw those in New Mexico years ago. Yes, they can really squawk! We had gray jays back home too. My mother used to say the jays were good weather forecasters because they made so much noise just before it rained. The noisiest birds around here are probably magpies. They're fun to watch though.