1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biology vs. Vegetarianism

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jan 31, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

The CDC has looked into a <a href="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030130/hl_nm/infants_diet_dc_1">pair of cases</a> where strict vegan mothers (no fish, milk, eggs, etc) breast fed their babies who later had developmental problems from a lack of vitamin B12.

Considering that a strict vegan diet has almost no B12 in it at all, and most vegans use artificial (i.e. man-made) vitamin supplements, is it possible to make a case that humans in their natural environment as Nature intended are not meant to be vegetarian?

I bring this up because I have a few people I know who are of the most militant sort of vegan, to the extent that they frequently attempt to make the carnivores in the crowd uncomfortable when we go out to grab a bite to eat at a restaurant. These same few people also tend to think of the technological society we live in as a blight upon the face of the earth, and that we should go back to farming the simple way.

However, the irony here seems to be that in order for these folks to live their eating lifestyle AND have healthy children, they need the technology to make B12 supplements. So, is this a conclusive proof that Man as a species existing in the wild just wasn't meant to live without critters in the diet?

2. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Screw the vegans. Let them eat tofu, that'll punish them.

3. mikeky

mikeky Member

Interesting. Makes one wonder how man became dependent (through evolution) on meat, etc., for B12. Did he stop self-producing it after beginning to acquire it from meat, etc., or never utilized it to begin with?

4. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

The difference in B12 intake varies substantially from vegans and lacto-ovo-vegetarians, those who eat dairy and eggs. B12 is less of an issue there. The biggest advantage to eating meat for human evolution was the intake of muscular creatine. This is what gives us strength and endurance. Had we not started eating a diet of meat, we'd spend far more time foraging for grasses and such...ala gorillas.

5. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Mankind has apparently been eating meat for thousands of years, and evolution probably played a huge role in determining what our bodies required to function properly. The fact that a strict vegan can not be healthy without some sort of vitamins just goes to show that they are wrong to force their views onto other people. You should vocalize your opinions when these fools try to make you feel uncomfortable. As for ther opinions on technology, tell them to move out into the country and plow some fields. I guarantee you that without their evil technology, they would not last two months on their own. I wonder what kind of luck they'd have convincing the farmers around here to stop butchering and eating cows, pigs and chickens? The Amish would get a kick out of them.

I have only ever known one "vegetarian" in my life. I put that word in quotes because he was a self-proclaimed vegetarian, even though he ate seafood. I worked with this man a few years ago in my hometown, and he was the biggest jerk I have ever known. He used to try to make the rest of us feel guilty for eating what he referred to as "charred animal flesh." I told him on more than one occasion what I thought of his tofu-eating, pale white, deathly skinny, pansy-ass, girly-looking body. He drove an Audi, so he thought he was better than everyone else. Oh yeah, and PC's suck and Macs rule, according to him anyway. If I ever see him again, I'm going to shove some vitamin B12 down his throat in the form of a meatball. ;)

6. ethics

Anyone seen someone on a strict Vegie diet? Ever seen the same person after 10 years of that diet?

Not pretty.

7. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I used to be a work-study back in college, and during the summers I worked full-time. Each year, the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown hosts a large crowd of vegans(thousands of people). They come from all over the place, and they are a WACKED OUT group of people! I used to chuckle everytime I saw them because they were all grossly underweight, and many of them had a very pale complexion. Many walked around wearing hemp clothing(nothing against hemp) and sandals(or barefoot). Sadly, many of them had offspring with them wh, most likely, ate the same kind of diet that caused their parents to become frail.

8. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

LOL, the vegans are like the wild eyed leftists of the vegetarian society...unhealthy squared.

9. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

These veggie types not only eat just veggies, they make their pets - dogs and cats - eat just veggies. Now, we may have been banana-eating apes, but those four-footed ones were definitely carnivores, and to deny them their natural diet is just wrong, not to mention stupid.

10. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunately, most pet food (especially dry dog food) has more vegetable in it than meat. Take a look at the ingredient list on dry dog food. Corn tends to be in the top 2 or 3 ingredients.

11. ethics

Which is why my parents raised their Rottie on human food. Raw chicken mixed with other meats and veggies, but mostly meat.